• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please delete

14 posts in this topic

What if I wanted to use my own PRNG? :baiting:

Scott :hi:

I know what "RNG" means when it comes to slots, but what is a "PRNG"?

Chris

You don't know what a PRNG is? WOW! I thought EVERYONE knew what a PRNG is!! :makepoint:

Didn't you take a course in cryptography? I did. In fact I've taken a few! :acclaim:

I thought everyone did!! Isn't it a requirement in the schools these days?? hm

If not, it should be!! :kidaround:

:roflmao:

Sorry... I couldn't help myself!! :devil:

I've been picking on a colleague all day for getting a basic concept of encryption wrong during a briefing this morning.

It stand for Pseudo Random Number Generator. The site http://www.mdani.demon.co.uk/para/random.htm that Harvey pointed to in order to generate numbers uses a PRNG to come up with allegedly random numbers. It's called a "Pseudo" Random Number Generator because the generation of the sequences are not really random since they can be duplicated. "Tricks" are used to try try to make it appear more random, thus the designation of "pseudo."

I am not going to describe the tricks and the other principles behind the concept to prevent mass boredom on these forums!! zzz

You don't know what a PRNG is? WOW! I thought EVERYONE knew what a PRNG is!! :makepoint:

Didn't you take a course in cryptography? I did. In fact I've taken a few! :acclaim:

I thought everyone did!! Isn't it a requirement in the schools these days?? hm

If not, it should be!! :kidaround:

:roflmao:

Sorry... I couldn't help myself!! :devil:

I've been picking on a colleague all day for getting a basic concept of encryption wrong during a briefing this morning.

It stand for Pseudo Random Number Generator. The site http://www.mdani.demon.co.uk/para/random.htm that Harvey pointed to in order to generate numbers uses a PRNG to come up with allegedly random numbers. It's called a "Pseudo" Random Number Generator because the generation of the sequences are not really random since they can be duplicated. "Tricks" are used to try try to make it appear more random, thus the designation of "pseudo."

I am not going to describe the tricks and the other principles behind the concept to prevent mass boredom on these forums!! zzz

Too late...

zzz

:baiting:

Didn't you take a course in cryptography? Scott :hi:

As a matter of fact, my MOS in Army Security Agency was Crypto, but that was in 1970 during the Jurassic Period.

Chris

I was in crypto upon entering the service in 1968 but was switched to linguistics and finally EWR(electronic warfare repairman) or ECM as it became known. I don't know why all the changes but the EWR school lasted 38 weeks at Biloxi, MS. LOOOONG TIME!! As this has nothing to do with anything I'll shut up.

I was in crypto upon entering the service in 1968 but was switched to linguistics and finally EWR(electronic warfare repairman) or ECM as it became known. I don't know why all the changes but the EWR school lasted 38 weeks at Biloxi, MS. LOOOONG TIME!! As this has nothing to do with anything I'll shut up.

I used to install (load) ECM pods (1 ea) on the outboard wing stations on both the F-4 Phantom and the F-105D. The pilots in Vietnam cursed the darn things because when the pod indicated a lock on, it was usually too late for counter measures. Most pilots just turned them off and let the Wild Weasels take the lead.

Now I'll shut up.

What was this thread about anyway?

Woody,

This was the last patch off my uniform in 1972-9th AF Wild Weasel F4C & F4 with F4E(recon). Hope no one is offended-just hadn't spoke to anyone about ECM pods in 30 years.

Thanks for your patience, gang.

Jim

PS-another reason the pilots disliked the pods was that they were implanted with explosives to be detonated upon unscheduled landings! lol

WildWeaselPatch.jpg

Geez... youse guys are old!! We've moved beyond those electro-mechanical devices!! :o

:jokealert:

What was this thread about anyway?

Don't worry... Harvey deleted it!