• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who can tell me what this is ?

10 posts in this topic

Never having seen one of these before and immediately liking the coin a great deal - I just naturally had to have it wink.gif

Now - can you correctly identify it ?

1978%20France%20obv.jpg

1978%20France%20rev.jpg

Hi GDJMSP,

That would be a 1978 France (5th Republic) 5 Centime coin, catalog number KM 933. 189 million were made that year from Aliminum-Bronze and the type ran from 1966 right up through the end of the Franc in 2000. My somewhat out of date catalog values it at ten cents uncirculated. The lady on the front is Marianne who as the national symbol is considered the personification of "Frenchness."

French coins almost always have bold, dramatic designs. Often they work out to be quite attractive like your example, but occasionally they miss badly. Never a dull coin, though!

-JamminJ

My somewhat out of date catalog values it at ten cents uncirculated.

The coin pictured is either a proof or one of their Specimne Strikes.

French coins almost always have bold, dramatic designs. Often they work out to be quite attractive like your example, but occasionally they miss badly. Never a dull coin, though!

I guess french coins also steal the Wheat reverse from old US coins. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Well you're almost right JamminJ

Oh well, based an my collecting interests when I bought my 20th century Krause I went for the smaller version which excludes NCLT and sets. Hopefully someone else will show up with a more complete answer. I'm pretty sure a gold version will be worth more than a dime! crazy.gif

I guess french coins also steal the Wheat reverse from old US coins.

That's OK, we borrowed a similar design from them for our Walking Liberty halves. I'm all for borrowing good designs!

-JamminJ

French Piefort gold 1978 5 centimes. Km#P598 with design of KM#933. Mintage of 144 and a market value of $135 using 2002 Krause page 745. acclaim.gif

TRUTH

It's a 1978 French 5 centimes minted in gold, double thick, based on the KM933 patern. Mintage of 144, with a 2002 market value of $135.00! Krause catalog P598. How much did you pay for that beauty? smile.gif

Hey - truthteller woke up afterall grin.gif And he has the right answer of course.

As for what I paid for it - it was more than the listed value. But I didn't mind a bit. When I find something I like - listed value doesn't mean all that much. The key to me - as SMS said - it's a beauty thumbsup2.gif

As a side point, I had a conversation with a Frenchman a week ago about what their name for Liberty was wink.gif

Of course he enlightened me to her true name (Marianne), and I got to thinking. I asked him if the French refer to Miss Liberty in NY as the "Statue of Marianne" (afterall the French did give her to us), and he wouldn't stop laughing for about 5 minutes. Strange people them French....makes me wonder why we keep copying everything they have smile.gif

I asked him if the French refer to Miss Liberty in NY as the "Statue of Marianne" (afterall the French did give her to us), and he wouldn't stop laughing for about 5 minutes. Strange people them French....makes me wonder why we keep copying everything they have smile.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Hoot