• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So Jules Reiver had a buddy over for fillet, some grand cru bordeaux, creme

12 posts in this topic

brule, and then they retired to the den to have some vintage port and look at coins. Definitely living large they were happy and enjoying looking at one of the finest coin collections ever assembled. Tonight they were looking at large cents and admired a relativley uncommon variety of the 1853 cent in gem condition. The face was mark free. Nice strike, and very original. Then it's not clear what happened. Did a port glass get dropped, a silver candelabra knocked over, or did someone trip while getting up to summon the butler and drop the coin...

IMG_4293.jpg

IMG_4294.jpg

It currently resides in an NGC 62 holder and in hand the mark is not nearly as distracting as in the photo. I like the coin, partly because of my fertile imagination. --Jerry

What a nice coin, Jerry. The hit doesn't bother me given the grade of the coin....

To whoever posted the oiled (described as lacquered) coin in an earlier thread -- here's a perfect example of a correctly brushed/oiled coin. Notice the slight sheen and semi-glossy surfaces...very typical of Jules' coins.

Have fun...Mike

Fonseca, graham???? You left out what vintage port and it ruined the story for me :sorry:

I believe it was a 55 Dow, might have been a 63 but they were still young at the time. I have several bottles of 94 in my wine celler that I'm saving til my son (age 7) is old enough to drink. --Jerry

Fonseca, graham???? You left out what vintage port and it ruined the story for me :sorry:

I believe it was a 55 Dow, might have been a 63 but they were still young at the time. I have several bottles of 94 in my wine celler that I'm saving til my son (age 7) is old enough to drink. --Jerry

Mmmmmm....

Nice story Jerry, but it was actually one of the sausage-fingered numb-nuts at Heritage handling the collection who let the coin fly before placing it in a flip to send to NGC. (All of Reiver's coins were raw until that sale.) Absolutely lovely coin, despite the ding and the holder. :makepoint::)

Hoot

Hoot,

Are you serious or just making up a story like I did? BTW, I just got a flyer from Heritage with copies of leters from Husak, Reiver's daugher (I think), and Rasmussen thanking heritage for doing such a great job.--Jerry

coincabinet.jpg

Being the gentleman Jules was, he offered his guest a rather rare Cuban cigar, a Cohiba Piramides to smoke along with the craffe of red wine. During the course of examining the many large cents, the 1853 was returned to the mahogany coin cabinet. Due to the dim lighting from the fireplace and incandesants, Jules did not relaize the copper had inadvertantly tilted in the drawer and when he attempted to close the velvet lined tray, the copper jammed against the wooden frame.

The very object used to house and protect his treasured collection marred a thing of beauty forever.

Still, a great looking coin! :cloud9:

It's getting deep in here but the story....like a fine wine is improving with age hm

Now we just need to talk about how the damaged coin in the cabinet was transported.....I.e.....mode of transportation to heritage :o

I am partial to 1970 Corvette's since I owned one for a long time but I am open to suggestions.....please no gull wing mercedes.....we want to keep this story believable (tsk)

lol lol lol lol