• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What camera should I buy?

10 posts in this topic

What camera should I buy? I am looking for one around $350 any suggestions.I want one that is good for coins and also pic's of the family. I tried a search because I thought a topic like this was already posted but found nothing.

point and shoot or slr?

You can't get an SLR for under $350... except used!!

Harvey... try the Canon Powershot S5 IS. I have the older S2 and love it! It's almost like an SLR with point-and-shoot features. All of the images I post are made with the S2. If I could afford it I would buy the S5 without hesitation.

Oh... and for the coin pix, it has a built-in super macro setting. Otherwise, it has a 12x optical zoom without the need for attachments. It's a great camera!!

Edited to add: You can find a good comprehensive review here.

You can buy it for $319 at Amazon, or less from one of their partners (click here to go directly to the page).

Scott :hi:

I use the Canon Powershot S5 IS and it does a wonderful job. Love the super macro mode! Unfortunately I'm out of town at the moment so I can't post any pictures, sorry!

I have the S2IS which is a -2 generation. You could probably get one of those very inexpensively or even an S3IS (there was no S4IS) and then purchase the macro lens adapter for about $80. The advantage of the macro adapter is that you can get the camera farther from the coin to give you more flexibility in lighting which is important for proof coins especially.

Here's a picture I took with my S2IS with the macro adapter. I don't claim to be that good at capturing images, but it's passing for an ebay listing. I seem to have a bit of a problem with "ghost" reflectins from the slab.

94119819_o.jpg

Here's a picture I took with my S2IS with the macro adapter. I don't claim to be that good at capturing images, but it's passing for an ebay listing. I seem to have a bit of a problem with "ghost" reflectins from the slab.

That reflection really looks good! I like it!! I wonder if that's an idea that they can use for future coins. :devil:

Scott :hi:

get a used Digital SLR. You will be glad you did. Canon Digital Rebel 6.3 MP is nice and can be had in that price range. Others as well.

Here is an image from it...

sh1886mdn.jpg