• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post your commemorative coins early and modern

76 posts in this topic

Welcome, SpaceMonkey! :hi: Nice set of Commems!

I understand you are responsible for a couple of guy's sigline pictures. Nice work!! (thumbs u

Welcome to the neighborhood, SpaceMonkey! All of those toned commems are ugly. You should send them to me and replace them with blast white specimens.

Chris :hi:

Here is the "mother" of one of the modern gold commemorative coins from the Atlanta Olympic set. This one of a small number of canceled dies that the mint sold from this series.

I have to confess that if were not for the gold coins in the modern sets, my interest would not be as high. When you think about it, getting a very high grade U.S. gold coin with some size ($5 or $10) is sort of a bargain.

FlagBearerDie.jpg

FlagBearerO.jpgFlagBearerR.jpg

SpaceMonkey, nice set. Did I count 19 coins from 1936??? Did the Mint/Congress not think that was a little much? :o

SpaceMonkey, nice set. Did I count 19 coins from 1936??? Did the Mint/Congress not think that was a little much? :o

Yes, some people did, and that was why the "old" commemorative series got in trouble.

And today history is repeating the same pattern. They don't call the suff like the presidential dollar series "commemorative coins," but they might as well be since they don't circulate.

Nice coins rrantique!

I just got this one in the mail today! Out of all my coins I call this one "the bargain." I got the coin for about the cost of grading it. I like it when that happens.

Here it is:

54893-1946BTWMS65Slab.JPG.aa90670295c3b4e34e88e5c222a44d09.JPG

54894-1946BTWMS65Obverse.JPG.b611e5a0ac5b28ad304c0fbd265a12c3.JPG

54895-1946BTWMS65Reverse.JPG.e297a51a9cba4b921d0bdec7c4c53c91.JPG

The Maine commem does not often come with good color, but between the PCGS and NGC board members we own at least four that are quite attractive. Here is mine-

I1920P64.jpg

I1920P64R.jpg

Yes, some people did, and that was why the "old" commemorative series got in trouble.

And today history is repeating the same pattern. They don't call the suff like the presidential dollar series "commemorative coins," but they might as well be since they don't circulate.

Hmm, and 1936 was during the Depression too... hm

Hmm, and 1936 was during the Depression too... hm

Well it was the bottom of the depression, and some people did have money. A lot of commemoratives had been sold for $1 each. When the Hawaiian half dollar was sold for $2, that was considered to be a high price. Sadly some people were able to get control the distribution of some commemorative and charge higher pieces. But higher prices met something $7.50 for a three piece PDS set.

Wow, some awful nice coins in this thread. Here's my contribution:

original.jpg

original.jpg

(worship)

Love that one Mike!!! :grin:

roanokemikep.jpg

DSCN2748.jpg

I know it's been forever but I wanted to add my latest to this specific thread. I hope the quality of the pics is satisfactory as I'm always striving to improve my techniques.

56190-1918IllinoisLincolnObverse.JPG.7320ceadf1d1b87dd4a03e4cb1ea73e0.JPG

56191-1918IllinoisLincolnReverse.JPG.18a39ff6a692e3fc52a1d3b7a3d7f892.JPG

56192-MaineObverse.JPG.3f800db0c06385956255634eed7b9048.JPG

56193-MaineReverse.JPG.066406fa0599a4cb1d00e1a65599ebe0.JPG

56194-LexingtonConcordObverse.JPG.3096510ffca72623a7c0f0bc8bfdb4a1.JPG

56195-LexingtonConcordReverse.JPG.fbed24e4c4b8f7dd55c1fbee90502c83.JPG

Thank you Lee for this one. I wish my images could show the true toning of this beautiful coin.

Rey

My pleasure Rey!!!!!!!! (thumbs u The blues are "electric" and has the lustre to match!!

DSCN3421.jpg

DSCN3422.jpg

Wow the Grant has always been one of my favorites. Too bad they cost so much. I think I like all the ones with the very pronounced trees in them like the Grant and the Connecticut coins.