• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you do?

48 posts in this topic

rons, Just a couple of quick questions.

1- Did you not notice the coin was cleaned before submitting it? If not, is is possible, like you must have, the seller also missed the 'cleaning'?

I did check the coin closely but admit to not being skilled in this area. I used a 5X loupe and swirled it under different lighting and the cartwheel looked great. I looked at it several different occasions to be certain. I will study it closely when it returns to see what I missed.

2- If the coin had been returned MS68* would you have split the difference between the cost of the coin vs the (now) value with the seller?

Great question....... :grin: Would I split the difference? First let me say that I am quite certain that they wouldn't let a coin of that magnificence loose so cheap but having said that my honest answer would be no, I would not split the difference. I would have been pleased with a 65 on the coin and a 68* would be like finding a diamond in the front yard so I don't believe that is a valid comparison.

I purchased a toned 1936 Mercury dime raw on ebay that was described as MS63FB and PCGS decided it was an MS68FB. It can happen.

Tom, Did you feel compelled to split the difference with the seller? I appreciate all of the contributions to this thread as it is very thought provoking and enlightening.

No, I did not feel compelled at all to share the profits with the seller. Similarly, if the coin were to have come back in a bag as AT I would not have felt compelled to contact the seller to rescind the deal, either.

:news: The seller has responded :grin:

Hello Ron,

I am sorry we must have missed that?? I can still do a refund on it if you would like to send it back, please make sure the auction # is with it for the refund. thanks

Now I am mighty impressed with the response from a "power seller" I plan to keep the coin for my own education and would be happy to send it to anyone for their own examination IF they would share their observations with me so I can become better informed. Thanks to all who have shared their thoughts and experiences :cool:

:news: The seller has responded :grin:

Hello Ron,

I am sorry we must have missed that?? I can still do a refund on it if you would like to send it back, please make sure the auction # is with it for the refund. thanks

Quote from sellers auction: "I will always go the extra mile for all of my customers."

Well, let's just see if this occurs?

T'is true The seller went that extra mile (thumbs u

Based on his response I am leaving feedback that indicates that he is indeed a man of his word and backs his coins. :golfclap: Lots of lessons in this little thread and thanks again to all who participated. (thumbs u

Good for both of you you guys. (thumbs u

I'd be happy to view the coin and and share my impressions if you wish to ship it to me. If so, feel free to send me a private message or post it here and I will provide my mailing address. Also, I'm impressed with the way you took some criticism in this thread and didn't get defensive about it. You truly used this as an opportunity to get feedback and learn/benefit - well done.

No negative is warranted under the circumstances as described. In fact, I don't think you had any good reason to even contact the seller after you got your grading results. If the coin had come back MS68, would you have written to him and made arrangements to send him a lot of extra money?

Agreed 100%

Good for you but as a buyer, I do not expect a refund for the reason Mark Feld has spelled out and I have never even tried except once. (This was not an eBay trnasaction and it was so blantantly harshly cleaned, even after it was described to me over the phone.) I buy most of my coins raw and send them in for grading. And since the price difference between the two is larrge (in relative but not always absolute terms), I do not believe it is reasonable to stick the seller with only the "losers" and keep the "winners".

I would agree with those who have stated or implied that silence or lack of disclosure is almost certainly an indication that the coin has potential problems and that is what I assume when I decide to bid on a coin that is not graded.

As an eBay seller, I will always state if I believe or if I know that a coin has been cleaned or has other problems and the prices realized have always been very low. That's why most other sellers almost never provide this disclosure.

The coin did not look cleaned when I submitted it.Let me repeat it again.

1. The Seller claims that there are three people involved in checking the coin/s

2. He claims he has 30 years experience grading coins and each of the two others has 20 years for a total of 70 years between them.

3/ The Seller claims that each of them use a 1000 10 X magnificaton to grade te coins

4. The Seller does not just sell a Vam here and there. He sells nothing but Vams.

5. The Seller has told me previuosly that je does not sell "cleaned " coins and there is nor chance of it because people with a total of 70 years experience are grading the coins.

This time I bought two coins. Both were supposed to be a Hot 50 Morgan..One came back with a grade but wasn't a Hot 50 and the other came back as the correct hot 50 but "cleaned".This seller told me he would pay my grading fees but wouldn't take the "cleaned" coin back.. In order to pay my grading fees back I would have to return the graded coin. The Silver content alone is about worthe the grading fees let alone the coin.

I am not aware of any other Seller that makes claims #1- #5

Either you have to believe that peopel with a total of 70 years experience and examined the coins under a 1000 10x Microscope missed both a Vam and a cleaned coin in one shipment or numbers 1-5 are B.S..

Yes, I would make up the difference if the coin graded higher than the Seller rated provided that the Seller in advance of the grading agreed to refund the difference if it graded lower . It works both ways.

I already answered the difference question. In my case I necer complained about the grade which by the way was lower than he claimed. He knows that the only Morgan Vams I want is the Hot 50.. One from this "Vam Expert" and his co graders did not grade as a Hot 50 and the other couldn't be salbbed because it had been cleaned.They are the ones who made the claims.

Exactly. This was the same thing I said in my post. If the Seller wants to agree befored hand that he will refund the difference if the coin is lower than he claimed then I will agree to refund the difference if it grades higher.

You were Lucky. My expert seller and co-workers with a total of 70 years experience refuse to accept the cleaned coin and in the case of the other will refund my grading fees onlty and that is if I return the slabbed coin.So he will refund me $21.00 if I reurn a coin valued at more than that.