• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

registry set stratagy

4 posts in this topic

I am happy to join the club. I am interested in building a registry set of franklin proofs. I choose this series thinking it was a short run and would be about fourteen coins to complete. I also thought this series might be under valued with some potential for appreciation. I purchased a couple common date NGC and PCGS MS-67s and MS-68s to get started and to make sure I know what the grade should look like. After reveiving to point system from a registry set stand point, it appears I would gain many more points in most cases by dropping down one to three grades and and adding cameo, ultra cameo, or possibly * designations. I looked at an NGC 1950 MS-67 which I think I could have gotten for around $1000.00. However, from a registry point angle, It did not make definate sense asigned about 450 points. I would be better served to aquire lower grad cameos. Does anyone have any direct insight?

First of all ... Welcome

Secondly ... Please take this advice ... collect what you enjoy collecting. Do NOT let the registry direct what you buy just to get more points ...

Thirdly ... I always go for a technically higher grade than a designation like cameo etc.

Forth - If your are talking PROOF coins the proper grade designation is PF/PR 67's or 68's

Take Care

Mike

:) well said mike! i first started collecting for the points and found out real quik that it wasnt "fun" to be in competition all the time. now i am weeding out all my modern and finaly going for the oldies that i love.

welcome to the boards danielk and always remember "buy the coin not the holder" . this works for points also. you could buy a coin that will get you more points that you dont like or you can buy the coin that you like and get it into a holder (if not already). there will always be room for upgrade if you choose to later :)

and always ask questions! there is no stupid ones!

I always build sets with coins that I like and are practical for my budget. Registry scores are of secondary importance to owning what you are happy with. I have coins, plus proof sets that are PF, PFCAM and PFUCAM or a mixture, such as proof Jefferson nickels.