• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just wondering ........IF

10 posts in this topic

If someone tossed a silver dollar into the air during a lightning storm and the coin was struck by lightning or if lightning struck a coin in any form and the strike resulted in toning the coin. Would this be NT or AT?

If someone tossed a silver dollar into the air during a lightning storm and the coin was struck by lightning or if lightning struck a coin in any form and the strike resulted in toning the coin. Would this be NT or AT?

I don't believe this could actually happen. The coin would need to be grounded somehow, wouldn't it? Maybe if you laid it on top of the lightning rod of your home :devil: ?

Either way, I don't think that could possibly be considered "natural" toning - and I doubt it would look to good anyhow :sick: !

If you really want an answer you should stick a butter knife in an electrical outlet while holding the coin in the other hand, this should give you the result your looking for, then post a picture or leave a note for some one else to take a picture then post the results.

Oh and by the way, DUH!

If you really want an answer you should stick a butter knife in an electrical outlet while holding the coin in the other hand, this should give you the result your looking for, then post a picture or leave a note for some one else to take a picture then post the results.

Oh and by the way, DUH!

36_12_6.gif

I have heard that if you stick lightning rods into the sand, when the lighting strikes it makes amazing glass sculptures. I also just finished reading a biography of Benjamin Franklin by Walter Isaacson that I would highly recommend to everyone (his treatment of Einstein is amazing too, by the way).

Oh and by the way, DUH!

Well I gave it a try. I'm out of the hospital now and it worked ok, I guess.

The coin looked really great but the cop kept it for his report.

Something about evidence for a mental competency test.

:)

Of course, if you toss a Silver Dollar into the air and lightening makes a direct hit on the coin, nothing, absolutly nothing will happen to the coin. Silver is a better conductor of electricity than copper...the lightening will simply surround the coin and disapate into the surrounding air. (no ground connection or short space to create an arc, Welding 101)

There you have it...no butter knives required, medical insurance, get well cards...etc.