• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RANT!

37 posts in this topic

I just received multiples of coins in the mail today. I got my 1795 half PCGS VG6 and a dozen raw Barber quarters I got off of ebay.

My rant? If a coin has been effing cleaned then why the eff doesn't the effing seller effing mention it?

The 1795 half looks gorgeous, beautiful, original and sexy if you only look straight down on it. Rotate it in the light and it has the unnatural brightness that cleaned silver acquires. There are also multiple ticks on the coin's surface. Too bad because all of the rims are full and perfect and it has great eye-appeal looking directly at it.

I'm very strongly leaning towards sending this $1775 coin back. Comments?

--------------------

Of the dozen Barber quarters I got, three were cleaned. Two badly. Hairlined and bright. Pisses me right off. And! The pictures were either swapped or taken in weird lighting 'cause the 1913 D I got is bright and shiny.

rantrant:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:rantrant

Check out the photo:

E-bay auction. Photo below.

54469-000a.jpg.2ff7b576a319b0f51813da41aad0e6a3.jpg

Was the half sort of 'net graded' by PCGS?

I don't blame you for being kind of bummed as 1.7K is tough money to spend on a coin that doesn't simply knock you over.

If you're asking now should you send it back I'd have to answer in the affirmative as no coin gets better over time from the moment you first look at it.

Did all of the coins come from the same seller? The Barber seller has a 7 day return policy, so, by all means, if you aren't happy, and it doesn't sound like you are, then send them back.

I feel for you, though. It's so aggravating to wait for something you want, and receive junk instead! :frustrated:

Looking at those images, I see evidence of cleaning. Are they both the seller's images?

For $1775, I would most certainly return the coin. My personal rule of thumb is that if you have to say, "I'd like that coin except for - ", then you stop and return the coin because that "except for -" is going to bother you the entire time you own it.

Yep, they're the seller's images.

I had already made up my mind to send it back before I posted this. But, if the consensus was that no better coin can be had in this market, then I'd have considered keeping it.

My personal rule of thumb is that if you have to say, "I'd like that coin except for - ", then you stop and return the coin because that "except for -" is going to bother you the entire time you own it.

That is a quote that all collectors should tape to their bathroom mirrors.

xI had already made up my mind to send it back before I posted this. But, if the consensus was that no better coin can be had in this market, then I'd have considered keeping it.

You should be able to find the 1913-D in a better grade. The one in my album is a solid FINE. You should be able to get a raw Fine or VF at a good price. It's the 1913-S that is the key coin!

Scott :hi:

I just received multiples of coins in the mail today. I got my 1795 half PCGS VG6 and a dozen raw Barber quarters I got off of ebay.

My rant? If a coin has been effing cleaned then why the eff doesn't the effing seller effing mention it?

Sorry for what happened but I just gotta say you ask an EZ question ;)

1) Seller doesn't know any about coins, or very little, and can't identify some cleaning

2) Seller wants the most money for the coin they can get.....would YOU, or anyone bidding against you, have paid the amount you did if it was labeled something like "PCGS VG6 but looks CLEANED"? I kinda doubt it ;)

(I'm thinking the answer to the above was choice #2 for the sellers....am I close? ;) )

Bochiman, you're very wise. :) Number two it is.

Scott, the crazy thing is that I got the '13D for an upgrade. :þ

I don't even think that it is the same coin. I can't see how it would be possible to photograph the coin and have it shown like the picture at the top of the thread.

(I'm thinking the answer to the above was choice #2 for the sellers....am I close? ;) )

Here is Joseph Kaminski's description of the coin:

1795 50C G06 PCGS. O-113 R.3 This coin is an original eye appealing coin that looks solid VG. A over E variety! Housed in a 2nd generation holder. Great coin! $1775

1795 50C G06 PCGS. O-113 R.3 This coin is an original eye appealing coin that looks solid VG. A over E variety! Housed in a 2nd generation holder. Great coin! $1775

Typical hyped eBay description of a PCGS coin.... it always "looks" like the next higher grade, even when it doesn't! Funny how that happens. If it is cleaned, then you paid too much in my opinion.

Yep, that puppy is going back.

James, it was actually a description on the dealer's early bird inventory list.

Thanks for all of the feedback. 'Tis a shame that more dealers don't have the integrity of Mark and James.

I have found Joe to be personally a good guy so it is rather surprising that the coin would be so unsatisfactory. However, if it is a "but" coin then you need to send it back.

Lem, the half wasn't an ebay purchase.

Tom, he did seem to be an incredibly nice guy. (His voice sounds almost identical to Chris Machuga's) BUT...it did take 3 weeks to get the coin (had to let my check clear) and he described the coin as original where it doesn't take a genius to see that that is not true.

The seller either does not know it has been cleaned or knows it has been cleaned but knows some people will not bid on it if they know it has been cleaned so the Seller just doesn't list it. Even if they don't know then they probably hope the buyer will not know in many cases.

If it looks like the pictures were were swapped etc then the Seller knew and it was deliberate.I would return the cleaned coins and the hairlined coins.If you are really upset then I would return them all.

I would send that sucker right back to em!

When I purchase a coin, I always asked if the coin has been cleaned, is there any toning, or marks that are not apparent or visible in the pictures. And sometimes I ask for more pictures. If they don't answer my questions, I don't buy from them.

Their responses usually helps your case when returning the coin or if there is a dispute that comes up recovering money.....can you say "ITEM NOT ACCURATELY DESCRIBED"

Many raw coins get that description. Some in holders get "almost PL" "Semi PL". and will probably upgrade or undergraded.

I wonder if E Bay puts out a brochure with suggested descrptions as many seem to be the same.

If you are thinking of sending it back today, you are going to think about sending it back tomorrow. You know this. If there is ANY question, you already answered it by saying 'Should I send this effing $1775 coin back?' If it disturbs you enough to even think about it, its gonna disturb you even more if you keep it and the return policy expires. SEND THAT SUCKER BACK!! You know each and every time you look at it, its going to effing pizz you off MORE! You already know what to do, so do it!!!

I have asked if the coin was cleaned and get such answers as :

1. It is just as I bought it and I didn;t clean it.

2. How would I know. The person I bought it from never told me it was cleaned.

3. Coins that old have probably been cleaned.

I bought a coin recently from a dealer outside E Bay and the Dealer advertised that all coins were graded by Photograde and when I specifivally asked was told the coin had not been cleaned. It had been cleaned.

The fact that they answer your questions doesn;t necessarily mean anything.

Alright, let’s put some things in perspective.

First of all, this coin grades Good. A coin from the 1790s that grades Good is expected to have a number of minor problems. While I would not expect it to be polished, the fact that it has been cleaned does not surprise me. And small marks and “ticks” come with the territory on Good grade early coins.

Second, really nice for the grade in this era bring big premiums. About thee FUN shows ago I purchased 1795 half dollar in PCGS VG-10 for $1,500. At the time Gray Sheet bid was something like $675. This coin was the best VG-10 I’d ever seen. It had perfect gray color, no marks, very even wear and wonderful eye appeal. The price looked outrageous, but after a while I decided it was worth the risk.

The lasted for about an hour in my case before a collector came along and paid me a 10% mark-up.

These early coins have historically sold for over the listed retail prices when they are nice. The run of mill examples sell for catalog or maybe a minor discount. Only the dogs sell at the Gray Sheet prices, which are not worth the paper they are written upon for the most part.

Given the fact that a Good-4 lists for $1,500 and a VG-8 lists for $2,000 in Coin Prices magazine, $1,775 is not totally out to lunch. A Good-4 will have some wear in from rim issues, almost like an AG. This coin has none of that. From a wear prospective this is about as good as it gets for 1795 half dollar in Good.

The problem is that it has been cleaned. That is to be exected for the grade. BUT if you don't like send it back. Just be advised that in this grade, you can't expect "pretty."

wow, and I agree with TDN and Bill...fair price for this coin which is NOT easy to replace..especially at that price ( these flowing haired halves are getting ridiculous)...and the TPG's WILL slab previously cleaned coins ( if not harshly done) when they are from the early 1800's or 1700's--especially if they have retoned nicely...that cleaning may be 100+ years old !!

and to reiterate what Bill said...having said all of that, if the coin makes you angry to look at--send it back..

PS---just noticed..this was my 500th post !!