• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What should I do with this 1867-Mo Maximilan Peso

5 posts in this topic

I bought this 1867-Mo Maximilan Peso for $400. I sent it to PCGS. They BB'd it as Altered Surface.

I had hoped that they would slab it and I could hold it for 20 years, enjoy it and then sell it when my daughter goes to college.

I don't know exactly what PCGS sees that makes this coin not grade - any ideas on that?

If I send this to NCS, any chance you folks might be able to fix whatever is wrong with it and get it in an NGC holder? Or is this likely going to be a candidate for details grading in an NCS holder?

9efa_1_sbl.JPG

9892_1_sbl.JPG

9472_1_sbl.JPG

Judging from the images, probably the best we could do with your coin at NCS is authenticate it and then encapsulate it in an NCS details grade holder. It would appear that your coin is improperly cleaned. Once the original surfaces have been removed, conservation would not be able to restore those.

Chris, NCS

I've sent the coin to NCS. I included a note asking that maybe NCS could tell me the manner in which the surface was likely altered (whizzed, dipped whatever). I offered to pay the $75 report fee if necessary. I guess if you can only authenticate or net/details grade it then that's what we'll have to do. Here are some better images - I found photobucket - how cool is that?

Cheers,

Bob

cropP1030615.jpg

cropP1030614.jpg

cropP1030610.jpg

cropP1030612.jpg

Just got the 1867-Mo Maximilan Peso back from NCS. GREAT! You guys slabbed it and graded it as "AU details - improperly cleaned." Works for me. Thank you very much.

But more importantly to me, your grader wrote out some comments describing what was wrong with the surface of the coin. These will help to stear me clear of buying a similarly damaged coin in the future. I wish I knew who in your organization took the time to write out the comments so I could send them an email thanking them personally. But I don't have that information, so I'll just have to thank NCS in general for a job well done. Thank you NCS!

Bob

I sent this coin to NCS and not only did NCS do as you said they would (authenticate and encapsulate), the also sent me a very nice note describing what to look for on the surface of the coin to tell it was cleaned.

The coin reflects light in chunks. The surface is shiny, not lustery. A proper BU coin will have luster that will, especially in crown sized silver coins, reflect an un-broken rotating cartwheel much like can commonly be seen on MS grade Morgans.

I just wanted to thank you (well all of NCS really) for doing such a nice job both with the encapsulation and with the explanation. So, THANK YOU!

Look forward to my next submission,

Cheers,

Bob