• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Draw some interesting parallels between "coin collecting", and something else??

24 posts in this topic

I'll start.

For years, I've coveted a specific piece of audio equipment - a 1979 model of the Pioneer SX-1980 integrated receiver. This is considered THE "big boy" of vintage audio. Yes, the desire to inject my MagnePlanar electrostatic speakers with 270 watts per channel of raw, surging, pure unbridled power has been a goal of mine basically since I began earning my own money.

So what's the problem? I want a totally original example!!!!!! I don't want one that's had the faceplate repolished, the bulbs replaced, or the original capacitors replaced, or the wood relacquered, or any of that. I'd like to find one basically fresh "out of the box". And, I just can't stand scratches on the wood trim! I don't mind if it's been recalibrated to factory specs - something that might be akin to "acetone dipping" a coin - but I just want it to be otherwise all original! They are out there, but man, they are expensive. $1200 just gets started, and shipping is typically $125 or so for these 65 lb. monsters.

As a compromise, years ago, I found an SX-850 in absolutely mint condition at a pawn shop and took it home. It still plays like brand new. But, I really really really really really want that SX-1980!

So, what is it that you covet?

Quite attractive if you like TANKS

<<<>>>

Pioneer's Finest Receiver of All Time

SX-1980 Specs

(Click to enlarge)

When the SX-1980 was introduced in 1978, it was the most powerful receiver in the world. It was rated at a staggering 270 watts per channel. It was literally in a class by itself with a level of power, performance and sheer weight that marked the apogee of Pioneer's two-channel stereo receiver development.

Everything about the SX-1980 was on a grand scale, including its pricetag. The M.S.R.P. was $1295.00, making it the most expensive receiver Pioneer had ever built. Nothing like it had ever been built by Pioneer before, and nothing has been built like it since.

The SX-1980's beauty was more than skin-deep. As Pioneer's best receiver, the careful and logical layout of the receiver's hefty toroidal transformer and four massive capacitors were flanked by the component circuit boards, a layout that was shared by the SX-1250 and SX-1280. This receiver had 12 Field Effect Transistors (FETs), 11 Integrated Circuits (ICs), 130 transistors and 84 diodes!

Pioneer designed large heatsinks to dissipate the SX-1980's full-tilt operating temperature. The SX-1980 was the largest and heaviest receiver Pioneer had ever built. The receiver measured 22.0 inches wide, 19.50 inches deep, and 8.25 inches high. It weighed a staggering 78.0 pounds.

The SX-1980 was not for everyone; Pioneer had receivers for consumers who did not need the power and performance this receiver was capable of. But then, Lamborghinis and magums of champagne are not for everyone either. The SX-1980 is the most sought-after Pioneer receiver today, oftentimes being bought over the internet at its original list price.

If Pioneer built a receiver with this level of power and build quality today, what do you think it would sell for? According to S. Morgan Friedman's Inflation Calculator, it would list for $3638.00!

54387-SX-1980_front.jpg.30764db304197f9c2fc638340823a7e8.jpg

Yup, all true! Furthermore, the "270 wpc" was very conservative. When lab-tested, it puts out more like 450+ watts PER CHANNEL!

:devil:

My SX-850 is actually about the same physical dimensions, but lighter weight (and a lot less power).

Yeah I can understand that, as One of the pictures showed the Capacitors in the the thing,ats where all the weight is and they were OVER Kill for there day too.

54388-sx-1981-ins.jpg.b95aeb28500f6e1e0a4d87abb6292a9f.jpg

After watching and getting a kick out of the dapper and knowledgable Keno brothers on 'Antiques Roadshow' over the years, I think higher end antique furniture is akin to our rare coins; original surfaces is best, and collectors will pay far more for them.

The attention to detail and the enjoyment of little things has made me appreciate bigger things. The color of the Midwest sky at dawn or sunset offers spectacular color that if found on a coin would be out of this world.

After hours looking at the work that went into a coin, I appreciate the beauty of a flower blossom, the texture of a leaf or the pattern of bark.

I love reading history. Having coins that originate from the era under study only adds to my enjoyment of the culture and people of that time.

I have found a parrallel between coin dealers and strippers.

Strippers have to pay the club a tipout (sort of like a coin dealer paying a table fee). The girls are independent contractors who do not make a salary - hence selling lap dances or extras is critical and they do not have time to waste with idle chat from non spenders. A coin dealer with a table at a show is there to sell coins or buy something right not spend in lengthy conversation with a non buying collector. Just like the girl goes on stage to do a dance set and attract customers the dealers case at a show is out to attract coin buyers. Dealers eat fast at the show so as not to miss that big spender, the SC girls inhale their food or wait until the end of their shift to eat not wanting to miss that big spending custie.

Model62.jpg

Model62II.jpg

Winchester Model 62 .22 short/long/long rifle

An item of beauty does not have to be pristine to be enjoyed, example.

A .22 rifle similar to the one shown was purcased by my Great Uncle from a Sears/Roebuck catalog in 1933 for approximatly $12.50 (shipping included)

This small caliber rifle was used to harvest small game such as rabbits, squirles and was also used as a "trappers" gun. ie: used to perhaps shoot a skunk caught in the muskrat traps

Like a old circulated coin with honest wear, this rifle has the same well used patina on both the metal and the wood. It has that well used look but has no distracting or significant damage anywhere on the rifle.

I now own this gun and intend to hand it down and keep it in the family. Oh...the value now days, between $550-$850! Not a bad investement for something that was used to fed your family during the depression.

edit: James, in 1970, bought a Pioneer SX-9000 (240 watt) at the Marine BX at Camp Hanson on Okinawa for $199...I still have it attached to a pair of Sansui 7-way speakers and a pair of Pioneer towers...shoot, these "base players" of today have nothing, I can literally "bow out" the window panes here at the house. "Oh, What a Lucky Man He Was" Ahhhhh...kids!

note: "bow out" not blow out, menaing the windows are bent outwards, but only when Momma is at the mall and my neighbors are on vacation.

most all; but not all; but most all

coin dealers/sellers/peddlers

parallel hairless rats/snakes/poisonious worms/turds

ha ha - sounds like you got ripped

story of my life.......................pretty boi :shy:

Coins and Hookers

1. They both can return little for the amount spent on them

2. They both can return a great deal versus the amount spend on them.

3. They both can be difficult to part with

4. They both come in all shapes and sizes

edit: James, in 1970, bought a Pioneer SX-9000 (240 watt) at the Marine BX at Camp Hanson on Okinawa for $199...I still have it attached to a pair of Sansui 7-way speakers and a pair of Pioneer towers...shoot, these "base players" of today have nothing, I can literally "bow out" the window panes here at the house. "Oh, What a Lucky Man He Was" Ahhhhh...kids!

note: "bow out" not blow out, menaing the windows are bent outwards, but only when Momma is at the mall and my neighbors are on vacation.

Start saving your money for a hearing aid. The good ones aren't cheap.

More comparisons with audio equipment:

Made in the USA: The most in demand, high end items for both coins and audio equipment tend to be made in the USA.

Type Set: Just like type set collecting where people tend to want one of everything and a matched set, when building a stereo system, you may need multiple speakers, multiple amps, a pre-amp, a turntable, a D/A converter, a CD transport, a BluRay drive, a tape deck, matched interconnects, matched speaker cable, etc. When you have enough, you may even need to build a room that goes with it like buying a coin cabinet or safe.

Small doesn't mean cheap: Cents and half dimes are small but expensive. Interconnect cable can also be expensive.

Differences: you use the stereo as intended, you look at but do not generally spend the coins as they were intended.

Coins and Hookers

1. They both can return little for the amount spent on them

2. They both can return a great deal versus the amount spend on them.

3. They both can be difficult to part with

4. They both come in all shapes and sizes

Hey guy your talking about two major hobbies! However, I most definitely agree - especially statement #2 and #3 is very profound for the really good ones.

Model62.jpg

Model62II.jpg

Winchester Model 62 .22 short/long/long rifle

An item of beauty does not have to be pristine to be enjoyed, example.

A .22 rifle similar to the one shown was purcased by my Great Uncle from a Sears/Roebuck catalog in 1933 for approximatly $12.50 (shipping included)

This small caliber rifle was used to harvest small game such as rabbits, squirles and was also used as a "trappers" gun. ie: used to perhaps shoot a skunk caught in the muskrat traps

Like a old circulated coin with honest wear, this rifle has the same well used patina on both the metal and the wood. It has that well used look but has no distracting or significant damage anywhere on the rifle.

I now own this gun and intend to hand it down and keep it in the family. Oh...the value now days, between $550-$850! Not a bad investement for something that was used to fed your family during the depression.

My brother still has the old Winchester .22 just like yours. Except, on the east coast, we called it an arcade rifle. As kids, we used it for target practice. We'd throw cans into a stream and see how many times we could hit them before they got out of range. My Dad bought it new in the 50's for about $25.

Chris

strippers and dealers====== Both do it for the Money== Both think their customers are suckers=== Both cheat on their taxes==Both are used by people for what they think they can get from them ====Both are like fish they tend to get into trouble when they open their mouths. The Biggest difference between the two?????????????????????? that simple while a stripper could become a coin dealer, Legend has it no one would ever pay to see a dealer strip

Stamp collecting.

Just as coins were holdered and graded and marketed, so to, now, stamps are being holdered, graded on a point scale, and marketed as such, with a rigid price structure. The only difference here is that the previously (and still to most), stamps were just certified as original and descriptively with certificates, not graded, or encapsulated, or marketed like this. Who is behind this? Of course xxxx. Are they collaborating with major auction firms to establish their new territory? Yes.