• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It Begins!

7 posts in this topic

I made a post some weeks ago about my Step-father's request that, in the wake of his mother's death, I help him start building birthyear sets for many of the family members. Well, this week he told me that the funds for the project were finally about to become available and that I had the okay to begin hunting down the coins for the set. Today I started bidding in some auctions to try and win the first couple of coins for these sets. I was sniped and lost both coins but the seller gave me Second Chance Offers on both items at prices that my Step-Father was okay with and so I accepted the offer. The first coins aren't huge purchases, just the 1983D and 1993D cents, but they mark the beginning of the process. The major coins for the 1932 set probably won't follow until considerably later.

I'm going to be working on 8 (possibly 12) birthyear mint sets.

For the 1932, the grades here will vary on the key coins depending on what my step-father wants to spend but the more common coins will probably be MS65. For the 1955, and 1956 we'll probably aim for mostly MS67s but we may have to go for MS66 on some coins and MS65s for the half dollars. For the 1981, 1983, 1986, 1990, and 1993 I'm not going to be interested in anything below MS67 and I'll be wanting MS68s when the opportunity comes along at a price my step-father will okay. Those are the 8 core sets. The project may be expanded to include a 1920, 1924, 1982, and 2007. Right now we aren't planning to include modern or other commemorative coins. That may change later.

Just wondering, but what does everyone else think of the following prices:

1932-D 25C in NGC XF 40 for $375

1932-D 25C in NGC Au 53 for $550

1932-S 25C in NGC Au 58 for $400

Do you plan to leave the coins in slabs, or place them in (for example) Capital Plastic holders?

I would think that for most of the dates you've mentioned, eBay is a laborious method of acquisition. You could pick up nearly everything you need at even a moderate sized coin show.

I agree with James. By buying many many common date coins by auction you will be spending a lot of $$ on shipping.

Also, consider buying the 25C 32-D and S first. These seem to be the key dates in your series and prices may get stronger by the time you are ready to buy.

Happy hunting

I agree with James. By buying many many common date coins by auction you will be spending a lot of $$ on shipping.

Also, consider buying the 25C 32-D and S first. These seem to be the key dates in your series and prices may get stronger by the time you are ready to buy.

Happy hunting

I see your points. My Step-father and I have a hard time making it out to conventions even when one is held nearby but I'll talk with him about it. So far though the pain from shipping has been pretty minimal (2.50 for 2 coins).

I'm not sure exactly where the 32-D and S will fall in. The project is mostly going to take place over the summer and the coins should be mostly acquired in the next 6 months. I'm not trying to press the issue of these two coins at the moment partially because while he wants to buy them I don't think he's really accepted dropping that kind of money for 1 coin yet. I'm kinda trying to ease him into it with some of the smaller purchases first.