• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What can I do with this one?

9 posts in this topic

Here's an 1849 Large Cent I bought recently on eBay. When I examined it, I noticed a few things that didn't really stand out in the listing photos. First, the coin is a greenish brown color, and appears to be lacquered (note the hair running through UNITED). Second, it has what look like corrosion pits on the C in CENT, T in UNITED, TA in STATES, and F in OF. Third, there are areas (cheek) where there is pinkish red color where the lacquer has worn off. And fourth, I'm pretty sure the color has been added to cover up a cleaning.

So, my question is this. Should I soak this coin in Acetone and try to remove the lacquer and possibly the color? Overall, the coin is decent, if I could get that hard goop off of it. I'm thinking there might be nice lusterous surfaces that were protected by the lacquer. I'm also thinking that if the coin comes out with weird colors, I could store it in a paper envelope with some tanfastic to see if the color evens out a little.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

1849LG01cXF-obv.jpg

1849LG01cXF-rev.jpg

This wasn't getting any response in the Conservation board, so I'm re-posting it here where someone will see it.

That "hair" through United on the reverse looks like a die crack - that's okay. The color and spot over the 49 would be a concern for me. Depending on what you paid for it, you may wish to return it.

If there is still a return allowed then I would seriously consider doing so as this coin appears to have multiple problems. I don't see anything I would call lacquer, but the coin has corroded surfaces and has been recolored, which means that it was likely dipped or otherwise cleaned in the past and that pink or orange color you see peaking out is not original color. If you strip the recolored surface you will still have extensive corrosion damage and will have an off-pink or off-orange coin that will be obviously of the wrong color. I don't know that sticking it in an envelope or something else will give it an acceptable look and would not even try. Additionally, the coin has seen moderate circulation so I doubt there is anything truly similar to luster left on its surfaces.

I don't think acetone can do much to hurt this coin, but I question whether anything can be done to "help" it. I think the corrosion has advanced beyond the stage of being removable without leaving behind very poor, discolored surface quality. If this is not a scarce variety or something, I agree with the above comments that replacement is your best strategy.

Thanks for all of the advise. The crud you see in my scan is not active corrosion, it is the lacquer that has not been applied very evenly and is actually worn off in some places. The corrosion looks like it has been removed leaving a few pits. The hair through UNITED is not a die crack, it is actually a hair stuck in the lacquer. It's interesting because the hair is actually worn off at the letters, but remains in the protected areas. I agree, this coin has too many problems to ever be a collector piece, but I bought it cheap and thought this would be a great experiment. I've never done anything to the coins I own, so this would be a first for me. I've read that Acetone will not harm the surfaces or color of copper, it only disolves and removes oils and crud. I thought that maybe if I could get this lacquer off of the surfaces, it might reveal original luster. Could you imagine the nicest looking corroded VF Large Cent you've ever seen? Wouldn't that be funny?

Well, I tried soaking this coin in "Goof-off", which is xylene. I soaked it for a couple of hours, swirled it around, then took a look. The Lacquer was still there. I tried a toothpick and found that the lacquer had softened a little, but not nearly enough. I dried it off, then soaked it in Acetone for a couple of hours, and again, nothing changed. The Lacquer was still hard and wouldn't come off. I don't want to scrub the coin, but these chemicals are not doing the trick. Does anybody have any other suggestions?

Last suggestion, Methylethylketone MEK. Once again try the paint dept, check out the lacquer thinners. Problem is I don't know if you will be able to find the pure stuff. You can buy it online but it would be expensive due to the hazardous materials shipping charge.