• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Laquered 1854 1C?

19 posts in this topic

IMO, not lacqured, brushed and oiled. What many EACers would call "glossy" surfaces.

Is this considered market acceptable?

From what I've seen, NGC considers this acceptable...as does the vast majority of the EAC community. It is done to preserve the surfaces of the (very-reactive) copper (I'm sure one of the more zealous EAC guys can chime in here, as my experience is dwarfed by many around here). If I am correct about this coin, you need only walk over to any EAC dealer's case to see the "shine" of coins so-treated. Take a look at the Reiver collection on Heritage if you want to see examples of coins that have a similar look.

But what's really important is what YOU consider acceptable, not NGC and not the EAC. :grin:

Respectfully...MIke

IMO, not lacqured, brushed and oiled. What many EACers would call "glossy" surfaces.

When you say "brushed," what exactly do you mean?

When you say "brushed," what exactly do you mean?

Once the "oil" is applied and allow to soak in then collectors will use a camel hair brush to gently brush the surfaces thousands of times to bring out the gloss. This is a good thing, IMO. This helps to treat and preserve the copper and renders a coin with superior eye-appeal most of the time.

Is this considered market acceptable?

It’s not only market acceptable; it’s actually desirable for a slabbed coin. All plastic holders are moisture traps and over time a layer of material will form on a copper coin. At least a layer of oil (Care, Blue Ribbon) will help to protect the coin from corrosion and spotting. It’s one of the reasons why collectors believe that the TPGs apply such materials to copper coins before they are sealed in the holders.

Slabs and other plastic holders are FAR from the best storage devices for copper coins. Old fashioned sulfur free envelops with cloth lined pouches are much better. That’s the reason the copper collectors use them.

Not just oiled but over-oiled. Properly done the copper has a clean dry satiny gloss to the surfaces, not an oily appearance like this one. It still has too much oil on it.

Not just oiled but over-oiled. Properly done the copper has a clean dry satiny gloss to the surfaces, not an oily appearance like this one. It still has too much oil on it.
I'd agree. with C101. The surfaces of a properly "oiled" and brushed coin should have a low satiny appearance. The appearance is almost that of a lacquered coin with a high gloss.

One more question: Care and Blue Ribbon were mentioned.(I assume that these are brand names.) Are these oils, cleaners that contain oil, or something else? Can any oil be used, or only certain types?

OK, that was two questions.

One more question: Care and Blue Ribbon were mentioned.(I assume that these are brand names.) Are these oils, cleaners that contain oil, or something else? Can any oil be used, or only certain types?

OK, that was two questions.

I have

5-20

5-30

10-30

15-40

10-40

15-40

20-50

ALL readily available

laugh.gif

Care and blue ribbon are silicone based oils dissolved in an organic solvent (Care is no longer manufactured, blue ribbon was discontinued for awhile but is back using a different solvent). It acts as both a cleaner, loosening and dissolving crud, and then laying down a protective coating of a non-reacting oil. I would not use it for its "cleaning properties because although it it may loosen the crud, since it isn't rinsed away it simply redeposits it on the coin again as the solvent evaporates. Properly used, it should be applied after contaminants have been removed using acetone or xylene.

Slabs and other plastic holders are FAR from the best storage devices for copper coins. Old fashioned sulfur free envelops with cloth lined pouches are much better. That’s the reason the copper collectors use them.

Bill,

Where does one purchase these sulfur free envelopes with cloth lined pouches-I've ran this by google and can find no company offering to sell them-just the stick one drawer liners.

Thanks

Jim