• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What can I do with this one?

15 posts in this topic

Here's an 1849 Large Cent I bought recently on eBay. When I examined it, I noticed a few things that didn't really stand out in the listing photos. First, the coin is a greenish brown color, and appears to be lacquered (note the hair running through UNITED). Second, it has what look like corrosion pits on the C in CENT, T in UNITED, TA in STATES, and F in OF. Third, there are areas (cheek) where there is pinkish red color where the lacquer has worn off. And fourth, I'm pretty sure the color has been added to cover up a cleaning.

1849LG01cXF-rev.jpg

1849LG01cXF-obv.jpg

So, my question is this. Should I soak this coin in Acetone and try to remove the lacquer and possibly the color? Overall, the coin is decent, if I could get that hard goop off of it. I'm thinking there might be nice lusterous surfaces that were protected by the lacquer. I'm also thinking that if the coin comes out with weird colors, I could store it in a paper envelope with some tanfastic to see if the color evens out a little.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Well, I tried acetone, & zylol, and nothing happened. So I got out the Lacquer thinner and soaked it overnight. When I swirled it around, I got little light green flakes of whatever it was, floating around in the thinner. I dried it off, dabbed on a little MS70, rinsed it with distilled water and dried it off again, then applied a little mineral oil with a camel hair brush. Here's how it turned out.

1849LG01cXF-obv-after.jpg

1849LG01cXF-rev-after.jpg

This process really brought out the green tint, but otherwise it looks alot better to me. Overall, this was a nice experiment on removing lacquer from an old copper, and I think it made this coin a little more acceptable.

Looks a lot more original now

What about bathing it in acetone again now the lacquer is off ?

I think that is probably a good idea, but I'm not entirely sure how effective it will be. I don't really know what will get the green stuff off, since copper isn't my thing. What it really looks like it needs is some time to regain some skin.

The acetone doesn't seem to do anything to this coin. The green color evidently is what is left of the "skin". It is pretty NAKED on the high spots, but I'm sure it will gain some brown color over the next hundred years or so, now that the protective lacquer has been removed.

"TACO BELLING"?????? I understand the window sill for 3-4 monthes, but what is "taco belling"?

For those of you that didn't take notice of the dark patch at the top of the 9 in the date, I've looked at that thing quite closely, and I honestly think it is a piece of foreign matter that was stamped into the planchett when minted. Look how it blocked the metal flow into the numeral. Anyone else have an opinion?

Thanks for everyone's input.

Taco-belling is putting in a taco bell napkin to tone it via sulfur from the napkin. I don't know why "Taco-Bell" verses Burger King or whatever. Maybe the brown color? I have never done it myself but think I will try. I think the thing by the 9 is from the mint- it is under the 9 (upper rim of 9 is not covered- unless you removed it yourself with a rosethorn or something). Nice coin. I think more laquer thinner and then mineral oil might help, but not sure?

The green appears to be verdigris. Nothing you tried will remove that and, if you do, there could be corrosion under it that's damaged the surface. Hard to say until it's removed. This would be a great candidate to try VERID-GONE™ on.

As long as the topic of Acetone to Taco Belling has come up, here's my story.

A few months ago, it was suggested here to use Acetone on a couple of Maria Theresa Thaler Restrikes that had been stored in PVC flips. (Not guilty guys...I promise...they came as part of a mass of minor stuff). Anyway, I did the acetone thing and got beautiful results. The proof surfaces remained a bit "milky", but the green gunk floated off leaving much improved, lusterous, gunk free coins.

I then read here about the Taco Bell napkin trick and had to give it a shot. The "victims" were the thalers. So, not being a Taco Bell afficionado, I tried the brown D'Angelo's Sandwich Shop napkins. The results are below after about 3 months. I think that they are coming along rather nicely. It is more evident on the left coin, but the one on the right is similar but not as deeply toned. The obverses also show light toning.

Please excuse the cat hair...we just adopted a used cat and she's into everything.

RI Al

maria3-1.jpg

Can't tell much about the coin on the right because it is way over exposed. looks like the one on the left is doing nicely. Nothing wrong with experimenting on MT's since they are just bullion type pieces.

My thoughts exactly on experimenting with the MT's. As far as being over exposed...(there's a joke in there somewhere)...I'm darned lucky that the picture came out as well as it did. You, by now, know of my reputation for coin photography... :o

Thad, I just read about your new product VERDI-GONE, and I have to say it sounds quite exciting. I have another 1849 large cent that would be a perfect candidate for experimentation. It is fairly high grade and nice, but the ugly green spots of verdigris are very destracting. I wish I could post photos, but my work computor blocks photo hosting sites (for my protection, ha, ha). If you're still selling Verdi-Gone, give me a link with prices. I would love to show you my before & after photos. Thanks.