• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another MS70 coin bites the dust

8 posts in this topic

I'm not sure if this has already been posted here, but the PCGS boards have a thread about that "famous" 2003 MS70 Lincoln Cent that now developed a spot. PCGS had to pay out.

Please don't get me started on what I really think about the whole MS/PF/69/70 TPGS thing.

This is really too bad but I guess it was inevitable!

Modern Lincolns just can't be trusted anymore but at least PCGS made good on their grading guarantee.

BTW, in case you don't know, the coin developed a carbon spot on the reverse.

Please don't get me started on what I really think about the whole MS/PF/69/70 TPGS thing.
I don't think satin finish coins should be MS70, there should be other designations like SF70 or SMS70. It would make the business strikes stand out more :)

PCGS should certainly be applauded for standing behind their grade guarantee. Good for them!

As an aside, I suspect that many observers expected this would happen (the spotting) sooner or later.

PCGS should certainly be applauded for standing behind their grade guarantee. Good for them!

As an aside, I suspect that many observers expected this would happen (the spotting) sooner or later.

Yes, it's good the PCGS stood behind the coin, but this one had such a high profile there was little else they could do and not lose face.

As for growing a spot, this it what I keep telling you people. This MS-70 copper stuff is NOT worth the risk and aggravation. I’ll stick to the pedestrian stuff that sells for A LOT less money and enjoy the hobby.