• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coins Minted When Roman Emperor Reigned

3 posts in this topic

exploring the internet i found an interesting article about the roman coins duiring the reign of Nero, who was the greatest roman emperor. here are caracterized different coins minted in ancient roma, like: dupondius, aureus, silver tetradrachm and other. i'm interested in their price. are they worth collecting?

for your information you may visit:

http://dig4coins.com/articles/ancient-coins/coins-issued-during-the-reign-of-roman-emperor-nero.html

I'm not sure I would agree with Nero being the greatest roman emperor, but he was definitely better than some of the others.

Are they worth collecting? Sure they are! The represent a certain time in history, and they were actually there! A tangible link between you and that time. Roman coins are great examples of propaganda as well. They didn't have newspapers so important times, people, and events were often publicised on the coin age that passed from hand to hand. It was a great way to adverstise because you knew it wasn't going to be thrown away and that it would be passed on to another to continue spreading its message. How could they not be worth collecting?

As to price I can't say as that is not my field and I hav no experience there.

Didn't Nero burn Rome to the ground and blame it on the Christians to give him an excuse to start persecuting them? I'm not exactly sure that qualifies as a great Emperor, at least not in most circles.

Collecting Roman coinage is popular though, especially from well known (or infamous) emperors like Nero.