• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hi, trying to grade my coin.

3 posts in this topic

Hello,

(Mainly dollars and half) have become a hobby of mine in the past year. I've studied a few books although I'm still struggling at times to figure out my grades, I think I've finally nailed down how to grade a particular coi well and somehow find myself double guessing ... guess that's common smile.gif

I've attached a picture of a morgan of mine on here , from my grading I've given this a ms65. The main things I'm looking at the is the detail in the eagles chest, is this the highest part of a morgon? I guess if anyone could help point out the main key areas on morgans (as they are one of my favorites) it would be great smile.gif

Thanks!

289429-VAR6.JPG

289429-VAR6.JPG.bdf4fbf81401d94552c801bca59fe447.JPG

Hi,

The coin reverse looks a bit washed out from the scan. My guess is the lighting is bad. Looks like a mint state coin. Wear on the reverse first appears on eagles breast, wing tips, wreath. Some dates and mintmark define which coins are weakly struck and which coins have many marks. For example, a CC dollar will have significantely more marks on MS coins than S mint coins. Or some New Orleans coins will come more softly struck than P mint coins. Any scan of the obverse?

TRUTH news.gif

Hi,

Very nice Morgan. The tail feathers, claws, and arrows are always a good indicator for wear. This coin looks like it should go MS65, but I would like a hands on look. It appears to have luster, sharp detail, all feathers, claws, eyes, beak, and so forth in great detail. Again I would need to see the coin myself under my scope and loop. I wish a photo of the rim could have been included, as well as the obverse. Nice Morgan.

Steve