• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thoughts on this Bustie - Yes I am looking at another one 1830

18 posts in this topic

I really like the obverse not really into the reverse color. Why is it so much lighter?

That was my first thought as well.

If it were me, I would try to find a coin that had even color on both sides.

I kind of like the coin, though.

I would call it cleaned and retoned, though I am not positive. I would pass on it.

If you want a really nice bustie, check out James' site: earlyus.com.

My advice would be for you to buy a slabbed coin, then unslab it if you want it raw, for the best quality.

Go to coinzip, and check out their auctions. Ed Richter, who is a Bust Nut Club guy, is always selling raw busties, that he fully describes as being cleaned or original, or whatever.

Coinzip also has busties for sale in slabs if you like, some from other board members that are here. Many rather nice ones as well.

www.coinzip.com

This appears to be a scanned image. Given that, I have to say the coin looks quite decent! If the return policy is legitimate, then it's a coin worth taking a look at (in hand, I mean).

Yeah it is scanned ... I like the star detail in this one and claw detail on reverse.

I think the 'lightness' on the reverse is a scan reflection ...I bit the bullet and did buy this one - It was the same price as the other one and this one is head over heels better in details. Can anyone tell me the overton and R factor or is the pictures too small ??

He did post them but I have to go look it up of the invoice

Hi Return policy is excellent.

I will let you know when it comes in and I can take a PIC :)

James do you think the reverse is an issue ... ??

If the reverse is an issue, then the obverse is also an issue. I think it is tough to determine anything from the pics. I would say you have a 50/50 shot at a decent coin. I think the thing to take into account here is: Is the seller trying to hide something? But if you are just paying 80 bucks for said coin, then you really have nothing to lose.

....except $80.00 of course!

I agree that if the reverse is a problem, so should the obverse be. Not infrequently, the reverse or obverse can be lighter than the other, or toned differently.

Conratulations on the coin. Not seeing it in hand, I can't tell if it was treated at some point, but it looks like it could be a 53-55. Of course, if it's entirely lackluster, then much less. Let us know when you get it.

I looks like an old bust halves kind of picture...no?

If the reverse is an issue, then the obverse is also an issue. I think it is tough to determine anything from the pics. I would say you have a 50/50 shot at a decent coin. I think the thing to take into account here is: Is the seller trying to hide something? But if you are just paying 80 bucks for said coin, then you really have nothing to lose.

NO Its good money but this guy seems pretty reputable- Sells on COINZIP and on his own site. Has about 100 or so on his site.

Grand OL Halfs .. anyone deal with him before.

Description of Coin

1830 O-111

"Product Information

What a superb specimen! Obviously original toning with just the slightest wear on the highest points of the design... Most of what looks like wear is actually just rub on the toning from the coin having apparently spent some time sliding around in a drawer. There are no scratches, marks, dings, bumps, or any such problem at all. The Lettered Edge is interesting, with the word "OHALF" created by the overstrike of the H over the R when the edge lettering was put on by hand. I'm able to make a terrific deal for some astute collector on this superb specimen...you'll absolutely love this one, I guarantee it! "

I have seen his auctions. My concern being his " I don't clean coins" disclaimer which seem to be an excuse to sell previously cleaned coins. But that's just me. Looks to have some decent coins in his inventory. I just have this fear of auctions where the seller is afraid to put up large, nice, clear pics. Just a past phobia. :)

I have ONE AT Bustie, and I got it from Grand Old Halves, before I knew enough about these coins. Someday I will dip it and wrap it in the Taco Bell napkin, which, after Bruce's experiments, seems a pretty convincing endeavor.

ps, I edited my above post

No! I think it is a nice coin, judging from the scans. The biggest issue will be when you get the coin in hand, it ought not to be as "yellowish" as portrayed in these images, else I might suspect some recoloring. Hopefully, the coin has more of a natural greyish tint.

Good luck!

No! I think it is a nice coin, judging from the scans. The biggest issue will be when you get the coin in hand, it ought not to be as "yellowish" as portrayed in these images, else I might suspect some recoloring. Hopefully, the coin has more of a natural greyish tint.

Good luck!

I was actually looking at the coin you were bidding on on coinzip :( - I just could do it

hahahaha

You can always call and ask questions about the coin before you buy it. Ask about a return policy. It can't hurt...........:)

This is from the sellers website,

"Hello! I'm Tommy Lawrence, your host here at GrandOldHalves...Welcome!

I've been a coin collector since 1965 and have been buying and selling higher grade old Half Dollars since 1999. I have made many friends from coast to coast through this means and I look forward to adding you to the group.

Although I'm a member of the American Numismatic Association, I don't claim to be a professional numismatist. I love these great old survivors from the late 18th and the 19th century. I try to describe each offering completely and accurately, and very few coins have been returned. However, I realize that coin grading is an art, not a science, and two people may see a coin differently and thus, I offer a refund of the full amount paid if a client is unhappy for any reason...I just ask that the client email me to let me know the coin is coming and return the coin in its unopened holder within five days of receipt. No explanation is necessary, but I will appreciate knowing the reason if the client cares to tell me.

On orders of $200 or more I offer a FREE LayAway Plan, with 1/3 of the total down and the balance in two equal payments 30 and 60 days later. The coin will be shipped immediately following receipt of the final payment.

As to any coin I sell, I make no warranty about coin cleaning or the result of the submission of that coin to a third-party grading service. It is not always easy to tell whether or not a particular coin has been cleaned and since the coins I sell have been owned by many parties over many, many years I cannot say with certainty what any of them might or might not have done to the coin. Grading services vary greatly in how they handle and view coins submitted to them and I cannot accept responsibility for the actions of those services. Opinions about the grade of a coin can be very different from service to service and even from grader to grader. I provide the best determination I can make as to a coin's condition based upon my many years of experience, but it must be taken as only my opinion.

My Seller ID on eBay is grandoldhalves. You may look me up there and read the overwhelmingly positive (99+%) feedback I have received from hundreds and hundreds of satisfied clients. Rest assured that you will receive my best efforts every time you honor me with an order or an inquiry.

This is as much a labor of love as it is a source of income. My wife, Lillie, and I are retired and this is the way I have chosen to augment our retirement income. A very important side benefit is establishing many real friendships as well, stretching from Hawaii to the Atlantic Ocean and even beyond. I hope you will choose to become one of my many satisfied clients...most of the time the first transaction is only the beginning of a mutually-rewarding, ongoing relationship. Let's be friends!"

I've bought several coins from this seller. Although his grading is "slightly ambitious" ;) he is usually quite good at describing any problems. For the price IMO it is probably worth the gamble.

I will, however, second both of the recommendations above. James at EarlyUS and Ed Richter over at CoinZip.com are great sources for mid-grade busties.

I'm looking back at this coin, and I like the look. I hope it holders for you. When you get it, see if you can photograph it's edges and post it.

I have the coin in hand and it is somewhat spectacular in my eyes. The coloring of the sellers picture is WAY off as this coin is all fairly evenly gray. I see no wipe marks, but I find when I take good close pictures things pop out of a coin, so we will see when I take its picture tonight. I am extremely please with this purchase and vendor GRANDOLDHALVES. He had recently reduced the price so I think I did well on it. I guess you's guys will let me know one way or the other AYE

Pictures Shortly