• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1981 Canada $100 gold, "Oh Canada"

5 posts in this topic

Hello, everyone.

I am not really a collector of Canadian coins, except for the 1981 "Oh Canada" proof $100 gold KM-131 with the musical notation on reverse. Does anyone know if the coin has collector value or is it considered a bullion issue? Still working hard on my music set and inventory and I don't know how to value this piece. Do you think it is worthy of submission?

Many thanks.

RI AL

canadar.jpg

canadao.jpg

I don't think its worth submitting. It wouldn't grade high enough to make it worth it, and I prefer things like that in the government holders anyways. Especially since you are not planning on selling it anytime soon, I'm assuming.

Hey, physicsfan...nice hearing from you.

Thanks for the input. No I don't plan on selling the piece. I am pondering how to display coins as part of the music collection that are in cases of issue as well as a few in slabs and a whold bunch in capsules. Seems like there is no good way so I was briefly thinking of slabbing some of the better pieces and slipping them into the Eagle slab pages along with the coins I have in Eagle 2x2's. I'm not sure that will really solve the "display" issue...so I will just make do.

I was thinking...I wonder what NGC would do with the coin pictured below. It measures 2" in diameter and just under 1/4" thick. It is 5 ounces of silver and though it was a budget buster...I couldn't resist. Does NGC have a slab for "mutant coins"?

RI AL

bigmozartr.jpg

bigmozarto.jpg

They would put it in a single hole insert for a multi-coin slab. It probably is right at the edge of the maximum thickness they can handle. (if it isn't just over it.)

Hey, Conder101.

Thanks! I am still considering slabbing as a display option for some of my music coins. I certainly didn't know that NGC could accomodate such a large coin. But then, I saw the clever way they certified the Somalia guitar coins so I'm not surprised that they have a solution to the big-coin problem.

Hope you, and everyone here, are well.

RI AL