• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Show me some "Grails"

17 posts in this topic

In the comics arena, if I'm understanding it correctly, a "Grail" is a comic that is rare, desirable, or very valuable. I guess they can also be items that have deep sentimental or other value to the owner.

Show me some of your "Grails!"

Not rare by any stretch, but the coin that had me fascinated as a kid and I believe really got me into coin collecting. I used to check my whole family's change every night looking for one of these, and now it is mine.

TrueView1.jpg

I never thought I would own one and then had to sell most of my then-collection to buy this one. If I ever had to buy another I would simply do without for my type set.

H1796P12a.jpg

H1796P12Ra.jpg

I've collected Franklin cameo proofs since the late 1980's. Being born in the year 1958 I wanted to collect an ultimate Franklin DCAM example of the date. There is only one die in the year 1958 that produced Monster cameo contrast, and even for that one die there are probably only 10 to 20 coins with ultimate cameo contrast. I searched for 17 years before finding one of these coins. Here it is, a PCGS PR67DCAM (the dot on the cheek is an artifact of imaging, it does not exist).

1958fr67dcam2obv.jpg1958fr67dcam2rev.jpg

Gorgeous 55/55!!!

RI AL

Just curious...does anyone know what a "poor man's double die" is? Some where I had a couple of these in old 2x2's marked with that description. I don't know where they are now but are they worth hunting for??

RI AL

Just curious...does anyone know what a "poor man's double die" is? Some where I had a couple of these in old 2x2's marked with that description. I don't know where they are now but are they worth hunting for??

RI AL

It is not an actual double die, just a die that was heavily worn. It chipped, leading to a doubled appearance of the last five in the date. They are maybe worth a few dollars as a novelty.

1955%201c%20Obv.jpg

1883 PROOF SET - I COULD NOT DECIDE WHICH IS MY GRAIL :)

CertNum 310507-014 Obverse CertNum 310507-014 Reverse      CertNum 1848031-001 Obverse CertNum 1848031-001 Reverse        CertNum 1635450-014 Obverse CertNum 1635450-014 Reverse
Enlarge Enlarge        Enlarge Enlarge        Enlarge Enlarge
CertNum 378715-004 Obverse CertNum 378715-004 Reverse        CertNum 1850356-007 Obverse CertNum 1850356-007 Reverse        CertNum 1930529-004 Obverse CertNum 1930529-004 Reverse
CertNum 2509749-001 Obverse CertNum 2509749-001 Reverse        CertNum 378715-008 Obverse CertNum 378715-008 Reverse        CertNum 2509953-001 Obverse CertNum 2509953-001 Reverse
CertNum 962121-024 Obverse CertNum 962121-024 Reverse       
Enlarge Enlarge       

Not rare by any stretch, but the coin that had me fascinated as a kid and I believe really got me into coin collecting. I used to check my whole family's change every night looking for one of these, and now it is mine.

[...]

Nice looking DDO! Did you ever find one in your family's change?

No I never did find one.

I have owned 4 or 5 of them, but had to pay for every one :(

As for the poor man's doubled die. These are caused by die abrasion or simply put- the die was breaking down and losing its "sharpness" in this area. I have found the 53's really prone to this also. Because of this gradual abrasion, there are different degrees of poor man's doubling, some minor-some strong. Here is a comparison of the two.

1955P.jpg

55date.jpg

Yes, Tom beat me to it in the 1796 Quarrter ...

1796QuarterO.jpg1796QuarterR.jpg

But here are few more ...

I'm a type collector so I don't have much in rare dates ... just better types.

Chain Cent, Sheldon 4 - This is the "most civilized" looking vareity of Chain Cent.

1793ChainO.jpg1793ChainR.jpg

1804 Capped Bust quater eagle ... I lusted after an early quarter eagle for a long time ...

1804QuarEagleO.jpg1804QuarEagleR.jpg

And the 1792 half disme ... probably made from silver supplied by George Washington ... AND the first coin issued by the U.S. Federal Government ... This coin WAS NOT a pattern!

1792HDObv.jpg1792HDRev.jpg

That's enough for now ...

zrlevin.

Thanks for your reply and information about the Poor Man's Double Dies. Now I don't have to go crazy trying to remember what I did with mine.!!

RI AL

That 55 is beautiful. I don't collect cents but one of these days I think I will try to acquire one of those. It's one of "the" coins that I remember "looking for" as a kid.

My "Grail" I guess would have to be this one for coins I own...

noarrowsquarter001a.jpg

noarrowsquarter002a.jpg

The REAL GRAIL for me would have to be the 1853 NA Half :o . Of course I'll need to win the lottery first ;)