• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1836 Capped Bust Half, care to grade and attribute it.

11 posts in this topic

Hi, Everyone :hi:

Here is an 1836 CBH to exercise you grading skills and if you would like, give it an Overton #, thanks. It is an interesting one!

1836cbho.jpg1836cbhr.jpg

AAJ :)

I'm a beginner at attributing, so it's hard to do without any denticles on the obverse. (shrug)

But, hey, I'll give it a try: it looks like an O-105, R4-

The only thing is, I don't see the "extended tail feather," but it matches closely, otherwise.

This is a nice VF30 and definitly O-104 or 104a. The reverse die crack gives it away, because it's the same die (reverse J) used to strike 1834 O-110.

VF-30 (thumbs u

Oh sorry, I didn't mean to "correct" you! I have an 1834 O-110 and I knew right away.

No problem at all. I need to learn. :)

Hi, coinman1794 and All :hi:

Thanks everyone for taking a guess at my CBH from my collection. coinman1794 got the Overton variety # of O-104a first. I bought it from Osburn raw in VF-35. It is an R.3.

From the 4TH Edition of (Overton)Parsley on United States Early Half Dollar Die Varieties 1794-1836:

"OBV.2, Stars 7,8,11,13, show recutting. Date is 7 1/2 mm. and a shade low. The small 3 is lower than 8 or 6 tipped more to left and nearly closed at top. 6 is higher and larger than 183. The stand of 1 extends clearly below the base.

REV. C-s2 Same as C except for a circular die crack from tail feathers crosses upper pair of olive leaves, tip of left wing, through UNITED under the first S, along top of scroll, then curving up under OF and down across corner of scroll to top of ring wing. Thereby forming a large loop around the inner design of this variety"

AAJ :)