• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1827 Capped Bust Half - Advise on Purchase

24 posts in this topic

Pipe up guys - I really like this coin and I want to make sure this is the coin for me.

If I buy it or not will depend on the comment silicited here as I dont know the in's and out's of these and want one for a type set.

Cleaned ?? Original Color ?? Would you add it to your colllection ?? High and low price you would pay ??? Is this ( O-109 Rarity-4 ) Correct ??

Thanks

54058-1827CB_1.jpg.10721827f84968e2936f3e0acc5d5f62.jpg

54059-1827CB_2.jpg.974b2845036dbd54426218644368e825.jpg

I like it. AU details, probably dipped in the past, maybe even lightly cleaned. But I like the detail of it, and I can see that it is starting to retone.

If the price is right, go for it!

I can't tell for certain, but it looks like the fileds have been wiped, especially on the reverse. This coin might not certify.

Dansco 7070 so it would not matter

If you like it buy it, but it doesn't look original to me. If I were forced to buy it, I might spend around $100 MAX.

You obviously do not not pricing on these

I like it. AU details, probably dipped in the past, maybe even lightly cleaned. But I like the detail of it, and I can see that it is starting to retone.

If the price is right, go for it!

I like the new monkey the cartoon one just kinda irratated me for some reason :)

That was my opinion on the cleaning and retoning but wanted some more input

The coin is supposed to look darker in hand ...

It looks like an O-109 R4. It could be a decent AU-55 coin, but that would need to be determined in hand. It has the look of a couple of AU coins that I have in my registry, and it also looks a little like a couple of Mike Kings coins that have appeared in these forums in the past (see his registry) so it may be a very decent coin. I would value it around the 4-500 dollar range.

It's pretty, but it appears "messed with" from the pics, and I would prefer a little more detail in at least some of the stars. JMHO (and I am a beginner in this series)

It is a nicely detailed CBH.

That said it has hairlines and I am a little uneasy with the obverse wear pattern. The cheek looks off compared to the bust. These tend to wear on the cheek/above eye/neck/bust in a somewhat predictable pattern. This pic doesn't show that pattern. It might just be the pic, or the cheek might have been thumbed a bit or maybe hit with some nose grease to give the appearance of a less worn coin. The coin has also been dipped strongly and is re-toning back which is OK I guess.

Overall, it is a nice coin that will look a lot better in 10 years if given the right treatment and not abused any further.

edited to add--For the right price I would surely buy this coin and add it to my collection.

If you like it buy it, but it doesn't look original to me. If I were forced to buy it, I might spend around $100 MAX.

You obviously do not not pricing on these

What? I was assuming it was cleaned. If it was original yes, definitely a $3-500 coin. Why would you pay AU money for a cleaned coin? That was my point, but I'm biased because I would never buy a cleaned coin. Just my preference.

The coin is definitely not original. Further, it was probably abrasively cleaned and the chance of it slabbing are small. I would not pay more that $300 for this coin, the R.4 variety considered. A common variety like this is $150 max.

It looks a lot worse than dipped to me. The surfaces appear dull, lifeless and unnatural.

Yes, it's got a lot of "meat" (detail), but that's about all you can say good about it.

This is as close to original as Rhode Island is to California. The coin has been messed with mightily.

Heheh I like that one :)

The coin is definitely not original. Further, it was probably abrasively cleaned and the chance of it slabbing are small. I would not pay more that $300 for this coin, the R.4 variety considered. A common variety like this is $150 max.

You are in the ball park for what the seller wants - he added that the color of the coin is darker than the pictures in hand - that his camera auto adjusted ...

Just addition information ...

Someone across the street adjusted the picture to be more in line to what the seller says the coin looks like. Here it is adjusted for contrast

1827CB_1CBS.jpg

1827CB_2CBS.jpg

I did not see the coloring on the obverse with the sellers pictures.

Someone across the street adjusted the picture to be more in line to what the seller says the coin looks like. Here it is adjusted for contrast

1827CB_1CBS.jpg

1827CB_2CBS.jpg

I did not see the coloring on the obverse with the sellers pictures.

I still don't like it. Look at the area around "50C." It's got more hairlines than George Washington's wig on the modern quarters. This coin as spent some time at thw wizzing salon.

Pass now or regret it later.

Since you are buying a coin for type, I would definitely pass on this example. You need a stronger and more original coin for your set. To me, it's a $300 coin with the problems, although overall, I simply would not buy it.

What grade is the type set, and what is your value range?

Since you are buying a coin for type, I would definitely pass on this example. You need a stronger and more original coin for your set. To me, it's a $300 coin with the problems, although overall, I simply would not buy it.

What grade is the type set, and what is your value range?

I agree. The Bust half dollar hole in the type album is one of the "easy ones" in relatively high grade. There is no need to compromise and buy a problem coin to fill the hole. I don’t know what he is paying for this thing, but if it’s more than $150 to $175, he’s getting hosed. Even at that he’s getting hosed because problem stuff, like this, as no long term upside potential. This coin is a messed up, fooled with piece that was abused to sell to an uninitiated “coin investor” as “GEM BU” in 1980.

Well If I average out the comments from BOTH sides of the street - The concensus is to pass it up for a MORE Original looking piece - Albiet this having nice details. It has too much of a PAST history of 'damage' and its attempt to recover from it (toning)

The bottom line on this coin was $375 of which I was not going to pay but offer $300 of which I am sure he would have declined.

So I am passing on this coin and will keep looking - thanks for the input guys.

If anyone is intersted in this coin PM me and I will let you know where it is.

Thanks again

I got here late, but you made the right choice by passing on this coin, for many of the reasons stated by others.

I agree too, I'm glad you passed on this coin. Please take this...what I have to say...and write it down in STONE

you can buy fantastic, original, sellable (in the future), collection WORTHY, Bust Halves for the same money OR LESS than you can buy JUNK...so why buy JUNK???????

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't emphasize this enough