• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

choosing only ONE piece of colonial coinage for a type set-- and why??

6 posts in this topic

Let's say you were putting together a type set, and you wanted to include just one pre-federal piece. What would you choose? I'm talking about a realistic purchase for you. and most importaly WHY would you choose as such hm

myself,

i would choose a 1652 pine tree shilling as it is one of the first colonial coins and also rare as one of the few colonial coins made out of silver by the historical and first massachusetts bay colony that was center to the american revolution!! the city that was central to the american revolution was boston and these historical coins were struck in boston!! and the romance and history with the connection to the salem witch trials and also the pine tree motief............ and many have heard of the pine tree shillings and the weight of dowery john hall gave in pine trees to the groom ...................just a great classical piece of eraly american history and these coins circulated for a hundred years or more!! and the thrill of many different varities and small or large planchet and seeking out a well struck undemaged coin uncleaned with a good look can be found...also if selecting a large planchet getting one that has the original s-wave being struck on a rocker press and not one that has the wave flattened when it was popular to do so in the late 19th century early 20th century

OR

1786 vermont landscape copper--- a wonderful copper again hard but not impossible to find with good planchet and surface qualities and well centered with overall good eye appeal these historical coins just are great as struck in vermont and extremely popular with the landscape design and the sun with his cure inagmatic face peering from behind the green mountain range in between some pine trees--- just way cool--------- and extremely popular

I would have to choose from either of the two you have listed as well as between a MA half-cent or cent and a NJ cent.

The MA half-cent and cent were made to far superior standards than the typical state-based coinage of this era and featured a Native American on the obverse with spread eagle on the reverse and also featured the first usage of the word "CENT", if I recall correctly, to appear on any coin. These are extraordinarily cool and only one-quarter to one-half as much as a Pine Tree shilling or VT Landscape.

The other choice of the NJ cent features a wide array of horse portraits on the obverse, which run the spectrum from very well done to comical to camel-like, as well as the usage of a plow and "NOVA CAESAREA" for "NEW JERSEY". The reverse will have a familiar motto to all of us in "E PLURIBUS UNUM" surrounding a shield. These were not made with the same high quality overall as the MA pieces and finding an acceptable one may take extra time and a few extra dollars.

Not sure if it is considered colonial coinage, but I've always wanted a fugio cent. I like the link to Franklin, the fact that the Continental Congress authorized it, and the neat phrase "mind your business".

I also like the pine tree shilling too...Mike

I would like a nice VF to XF Mass Cent. Nice large peice of copper with a nice design and will not break the bank totally. If money was no object. I would be going after a Brasher Doubloon with EB in the Wing :)

That's easy. I'd take the Pine Tree Shilling with the large planchet. I have a small planchet example, and also an Oak Tree shilling.

My problem is I don't like low grade coins. I'm not "it has be Gem BU" guy, but I do like things to be Choice VF or better.

SmallPineShillingTree.jpgSmallPineShillingDate.jpg

SmOakTwoPenceR.jpgSmOakTwoPenceO.jpg

I would also choose the Pine Tree shilling, with the Fugio cent being a close second. Seeing as I already own a Fugio Cent, I guess the Pine Tree is out of the question for this "Type Set."