• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1866 RPD 3c came from Sweden today. Warning lots of pictures

16 posts in this topic

Hi all

my interesting 1866 3c came today so i have been able to do some better pictures than the sellers for you to look at.

1866.jpg

What a lot seems to be going on with this coin. I have not been able to find the RPD in my cherrypicker book does anyone have any information about this coin or have you seen one before

Thanks dooly :devil:

Obverse:-

a1866.jpg

Closeup of RPD both 6's seem to have been affected

a1866c.jpg

Very strong clashing

a1866a.jpg

What seems like longacer on the letter A

a1866aa.jpg

Also on OF

A1866of.jpg

Top bar of D missing

a1866d.jpg

Spike through Liberty's nose and extra dot on hair

a1866e.jpg

Revers:-

a1866r.jpg

Nice clashing of date and a die crack

a1866rc.jpg

sorry for so many pictures but you know what i am like :screwy:

So what do you think of the coin then ?????????????????????

According to this site, it appears to be a 1866/866, RPD-001.

Cheers just bob looks like you hit that bang on for me (thumbs u

Do you think my one is a later die state ?

427.jpga1866.jpg

427_pic2.jpga1866c.jpg

:banana:

I have just been looking at the images and is it me or is my number 1 a lot further away from the bust and are all the dated numbers a lot fatter ? IE a different die ?

After viewing the pics side by side, I'm not so sure. As you say, the date appears different, and the clashes do, as well. Two different repunched dates with die clashes? (shrug)

After viewing the pics side by side, I'm not so sure. As you say, the date appears different, and the clashes do, as well. Two different repunched dates with die clashes? (shrug)

They are from different obverse dies. Your coin seems to have a triple punched date. Note the third punch south in addition to the one north. That could be some anomaly from a worn die, but the date placement shows an obvious different die.

Finding three cent nickels without clashes is probably more difficult than finding clashed ones, so that part doesn't surprise me any.

Cheers for the comments all

Yes the more i look at the pictures the less alike they look

How could the Obverses RPD's look so similar and yet from totally different dies ?

I have been searching on the WWW and i have only been able to find one other (poor picture)

cn319_54.jpg

? How do you do that over lay thing ?

How can they look similar? Well the dies themselves are hubbed with everything except the date so they would be pretty much identical. Then the date is punched in with a four digit logotype punch so the position of all the numbers relative to each other would be the same. If you get the 1 pretty well lined up the same on both punchings and just move the right edge of the punch up slightly there you have it a repunched 866/866. It wouldn't be hard to believe there could be several similar overdates out of around 200 obv dies

How can they look similar? Well the dies themselves are hubbed with everything except the date so they would be pretty much identical. Then the date is punched in with a four digit logotype punch so the position of all the numbers relative to each other would be the same. If you get the 1 pretty well lined up the same on both punchings and just move the right edge of the punch up slightly there you have it a repunched 866/866. It wouldn't be hard to believe there could be several similar overdates out of around 200 obv dies

:banana: Conder101 to the rescue again . gosh it is handy to have you around

Makes me wonder if the same person repunched both dies, that's the type of thing that keeps me collecting