• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

just wondering...............

5 posts in this topic

how do the museums house their collections? do they use air-tites or kointains?

certainly not 2x2 mylars with staples! and do you think they are "treated" first with

acetone or any type of special chemicals? like i said, just wondering! thanks for any insight.

steve :popcorn:

I know the Smithsonian uses AirTites. Most of the coins are stored in direct fit holders. Some of the "odd" sized coins are stored in ringed holders. The coins are removed from the holders for display.

I was told that the ANA Money Museum uses AirTites and that many of their displays incorporates the AirTites.

The money museum at the NY Fed uses Kointains.

I heard that the Chase Money Museum, sponsored by JP Morgan-Chase, uses Intercept Shield holders. The Chase museum was something the old Chase Manhattan bank inherited from two different buyouts--before being bought out themselves! JP Morgan had its own collection and the combined collection is now on display in New York.

To my knowledge, no museum does anything to treat or conserve the coins.

Scott :hi:

Sort of a great question. I too wonder what they do with not only old coins but with many items made with metals. For example swords, knives, old guns, etc. I suppose the best thing to do is go to a museum and ask. Interesting to find out exactly what they do to preserve items for thousands of years.

I forget which one but one of the biggest coin museums will be getting re-seal able slabs and cabinets from NGC.

I was just going to correct myself after finding the article that came out this week.

According to this article, NGC and NCS is working with the Smithsonian's National Numismatic Collection to slab the 200 most rate, unique, and famous coins. The new slabs are able to be opened so that the coins may be put on display. The coins will be housed in two safes with specially made shelf systems to protect the coins and provide additional security.

Since the article did not say anything about the rest of the collection, I am willing to guess that they will remain in AirTite holders.

The Smithsonian's National Numismatic Collection is said to the the second largest in the world behind the Vatican. The Vatican has a history of collecting unique items and having the largest collection put together after nearly 2000 years of accumulating.

Scott :hi: