• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Toned coin PVC experiment I thought I would share...before and after...

7 posts in this topic

So I have been buying up 50's Double Mint sets like there is no tomorrow..... :o

I had a 1955, 1957, and 1958 set come in the mail today and I just couldn't wait to image them and set aside the nicer ones for certification :cloud9:

I started with the 1955 set since this is the first I have owned and when I got to one of the dimes I notice a big spot pf green PVC on the reverse doh! How it got their I have no idea as these sets are in the original cardboard holder the mind shipped the coins in and this was the first time I have ever pulled a coin out of one of these Double mint sets with active PVC hm

I was more than just a little concerned that the process of removing the PVC would also remove the lovely toning as I had this happen with a proof quarter before. I weighed my option and decided that I could not leave the PVC on the surface or the coin would be worth melt either way so I took a chance....got out my pur acetone from the hardware store and soaked the coin reverse up in a glass bowl for about 2 minutes. Then I to a wooden toothpick and lightly (while the coin was still submerged in the acetone) ran it over the PVC spot just to make sure sure everything that was going to come off...did.

To my sheer delight the PVC came off leaving only a faint dark spot, but left all of the wonderful toning intact. I am now confident that the surfaces are free of contaminants and I should have no issues getting the coin holdered. Since this was only the second time I have ever used Acetone on a toned coin I thought I would share my experience with the members of this and other forums. That way if others find themselves in a similar situation they have a good idea of the success others have had with acetone.

Here are my before and after pictures:

Before Acetone bath

1955MintSet010.jpg

1955MintSet012.jpg

AFTER

1955MintSet015.jpg

1955MintSet017.jpg

Shane, I would have guessed that the spot was caused by something other than PVC. It appears to have been corrosion. Congratulations on your expert care in conserving the coin!

Shane I love it how much?

It will be heading out to NGC this week...then we can talk privately lol

Thanks for the words James....could have been corrosion but I didn't think Silver would corrode like that in an old Mint set....but I don't claim to be a metal expert....just saw green and I broke out my Go Go gadget acetone :bump:

I don't think it was PVC. It appears more like the type of corrosion formed from exposure to SO or SO2. If thoes coins were laying around in an area where there was a lot of Sulfur Rich coal burning such as power stations or steel mills, and the package had a slight air leak, that is what appears to have attacked the coins. Normally PVC is not a gas until after 212degrees F and if those coins were exposed to that temperature, you would have something far worse than a little discoloration to worry about.