• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does this nickel color look suspicious?

6 posts in this topic

3CN with odd gray coloration

In an earlier thread, some noted that non-lustrous 3CN might have been dipped, but I questioned whether that it would be somewhat apparent if that occurred. Well, is that what's going on here or does this look perfectly natural? The reason I ask, is that I think it looks unnatural with a completely even appearance of darkened surfaces.

Bruce, it looks natural (though unappealing) to me and I don't see the surfaces as appearing even close to "completely even..".

Actually, if that coloration is accurate, I would say that is not a normal gray I would see on circulated 3CN and I've seen a ton! Yeah, I could be off base on this but, then again, that's why I'm throwing it out there.

On a side note, that color gray is something I might expect on a lightly worn, dipped awhile ago, retoned, silver coin.

Being a poor photographer, myself(therefore an expert in this field), when in hand the coin may look a completely different color/shade/hue than this photo makes it appear. I have had photos that I took make a shiny coin look dull gray(especially shields and liberty nickels). If the possibility exists to look at the coin inhand, that would be the route I would take.If not, then a guess is necessary.

PS-Take a look at the other coins Accenton has offered-many have this grayed out look to them-even silver coins. Might be his lighting setup causing it.

I too think the coin's color is due to a horrible photo. If you like that coin, for sure contact the seller for a better photo first. If none, forget it. Probably a nice coin but a lousy photographer.