• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's a fair charge to consign something for someone?

13 posts in this topic

As much as you can get :)

My Usual rate is 10% plus an additional 5% if have to create a web page and host the pictures myself plus usual listing expenses and final value fees paypal fees whatever.

I would expect bullion margins to be lower than numismatic margins -- so I'd say closer to 5% or 10%, depending on your sunk costs.

That said, and assuming it is bullion, why would anyone want to consign something they could sell elsewhere for cheaper?

This would be for a family member who's looking to take some serious profit on some 90% silver he bought at face years ago - for now, mainly 1964 P and D kennedy halves he got at the bank in '64. He's not computer saavy, so he may end up asking me to sell it. I probably won't ask for any kind of fee, but if he offers, I'll accept.

Have you told him he can likely sell to a local dealer much quicker than online? The dealer may pay a little under melt for 90%, but it would be cheaper than eBay most likely.

If it's for a family member, I would not charge him anything. If he offered, I wouldn't refuse, but the best thing would be if he let you cherrypick a few of the nicer ones for yourself. If they've been sitting there for that long, you could get some nice toners.

A while back I went through a pretty good friend's hoard and catalogued it and valued it for him, and rather than charge him, he let me fill the holes in my whitman penny book that I could find (he had like 5 pounds of wheat pennies.) I had fun, he got what he wanted, and I filled a few holes.

To answer a couple questions:

(1) I'd obviously call a local dealer first to see what they're offering.

(2) I'd likely be selling here or ATS

Thanks for the input, y'all.