• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Category for Gold - San Francisco Mint?

3 posts in this topic

Currently the following categories exist for gold mint marks:

Gold - Charlotte Mint

Gold - Dahlonega Mint

Gold - New Orleans Mint

Is there any reason that there isn't a category for the San Francisco mint? Likewise, why isn't there a category for the Philadelphia mint? I am very new to the NGC registry, so I'm just trying to figure out how things work. Thanks for any information on this issue.

When the NGC Registry was first designed, the Charlotte, Dahlonega, and New Orleans Gold were separated from the general Gold categories as there were many who collected these categories specifically. There weren't many who just collected the San Francisco or Philadelphia mints.

The San Francisco and Philadelphia issues are intermingled in the general Gold categories.

I hope this information is helpful. Thank you for your inquiry.

IMHO, the only catagory for "S" mint gold coins that might justify a registry classification are "S" minted quarter eagles. These were only minted from 1854 to 1879 and were not minted during all years of this period. It would be almost impossible to complete a high grade set of these dates. Most are worn because many were issued to pay miner's salaries. Even completing a nice AU set would be a formidible task because of the extreme scarcity and high cost of the 1854-S.