• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Submitting Proof Coins

10 posts in this topic

I had some question about submitting proof coins. Do most people just place the coins in a 2X2 flip when sending them in for submission? Is it possible for the flip to cause hairlines if the coin slides around. Is there another method? Sorry for so many questions but I have never submitted a coin and when I do I want to avoid any damages to the coins in transit.

Thanks,

Robert

Hello Rdunnit. I have submitted a few. I usually put them in 2x's with no problems. I do however tape them down securely to cardboard. When I submit

my coins I do 20 at a time, and layer the cardboard over the coins. With the 2x's secured, and cardboard between them, I then tape the cardboard layers together and wrap them all in bubblewrap. Now this may not be the best way to go since I have never received any coins back in 70, but I have had most come back in 69, with a few 68's here and there. I usually ship them priority mail with so much padding in the box that the contents can't shift in transit.

Good question, hope to see a lot of comments on this one!

NGC will take them in the original Mint capsule and charge you $1 per coin for their removal. Personally, I simply use large mylar flips (2.5x2.5)and I carefully remove the coin from the capsule over a velvet tray, then with cotton gloves, I place the coin in the flip. I have yet to harm a coin that way or see any sign of harm from transit. Sounds like 7557rb has the technique down for shipping. I simply rubberband the coins together tightly and ship them in bubble wrap surrounded by foam. I'm more paranoid about modern coins in such high grades as 68-70 than I am more valuable but older coins. 893whatthe.gif Go figure.

Hoot

I place each coin in its own small (3" x 2") polyethylene bag, slide the bag into one pocket of a 2 1/2" x 2 1/2" SAFLIP Mylar flip, fold the flip closed, and seal the edge with one half of a sticky label normally used for file folders. One of those little sticky paper circles would work just as well.

The best place I've found to obtain the bags and SAFLIPs is, believe it or not, PCGS. Their prices are very reasonable, and I order 100 of each when I call.

I use STAPLES bubble wrap (small bubbles) to roll the flips into a continuous bubble wrap and flip sandwich. I generally place the flips on the bubble wrap either two or three side by side, fold the bubble wrap over, and repeat. Rolling the bubble wrap around them this way prevents shifting during shipment.

The one issue I've noticed with this technique involves proof Silver American Eagle coins. On a few such coins, I've found that the frosted high points on the devices exhibited slight signs of burnishing. Without having conducted a scientific inquiry, I concluded that the wear occurred during shipment, from the coin sliding around inside the poly bag. The specific place in which the wear occurred was on Lady Liberty's breasts (I am not making this up). I may simply send future Silver Eagle submissions in their original capsules to avoid this problem. Other than this one concern, however, I've had excellent results.

Finally, I follow Hoot's technique when handling the coins using cotton gloves over a soft, inert surface, which in my case is a clean 100% cotton T-shirt. I use the blade of a small pocket or X-Acto knife to separate the capsule halves. I also use a neoprene rubber squeeze bulb cleaner (for photographic negatives) to blow the surfaces of the coin free of debris. I was tempted to use the compressed gas-in-a-can for this, but discovered that these products don't contain compressed air but rather some other gas that condenses to a fluid while under pressure in the can. The bulb is ultimately far less expensive over time and does a fine job.

Beijim

I've only submitted coins one time and that was to PCGS as a collector's club member. For moderns that were issued in a capsule, I sent "as is" without removing them. They all came back 69. I don't know if PCGS charges an extra dollar or not. It would seem that with all of the capsules that they accumulate, then they would create a secondary market for capsules. Just think, these capsules cost up to one dollar apiece retail and they most certainly accumulate lots of 'em. So, they should sale them for a quarter apiece to club members. I wonder what they actually do with them?

Burnishing on the ASE is a problem I have ran into. In fact, I have received

more 68's on this issue than any other. I havn't had a problem on commems, which are large coins also, but I think the mint uses a lot more care in their production. Maybe Lady Liberty needs a "reduction." shocked.gif

I believe if you click on the link to submitting coins through NGC, they have a special link with packaging instructions and they describe a method of packing hte coins similar to what beijim describes.

I've always preferred placing the coins in the polyethelene sleeves, and then in a 2.5x2.5 holder. I've never had a problem, mint state or proof.

Now, I don't submit modern proof examples where some members have complained of "haze" forming, or potential hairlines.

Just a couple of days ago I sent in a proof IHC to NGC, and I packaged it as described above, and I didn't have any worries with the submittal.