• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Submitting Proof Coins

12 posts in this topic

I had some question about submitting proof coins. Do most people just place the coins in a 2X2 flip when sending them in for submission? Is it possible for the flip to cause hairlines if the coin slides around. Is there another method? Sorry for so many questions but I have never submitted a coin and when I do I want to avoid any damages to the coins in transit.

Thanks,

Robert

I was wondering the same thing - I sent five of my family heirlooms to NGC in flips, held together with a rubbr band as they suggested on the submission form. I have nightmares of my 55/55 lincoln coming back in a body bag with a big, honkin' scratch across the coin.

And my 1883CC Morgan - jeez, the Morgan in a flip... scary don't cha think?

LJ

I had some question about submitting proof coins. Do most people just place the coins in a 2X2 flip when sending them in for submission? Is it possible for the flip to cause hairlines if the coin slides around. Is there another method? Sorry for so many questions but I have never submitted a coin and when I do I want to avoid any damages to the coins in transit.

Thanks,

Robert

Flips are safe for short-term storage, and probably the best method for delivery to NGC. Where flips become hazardous is when the coin is carelessly dumbed out, and allowed to make contact with the edge of the plastic pocket.

Quite some time ago, I broke a US Mint proof set and sent to PCGS in standard 2x2 PVC flips. The Lincoln came back in a body bag due to PVC residue on the high relief areas on Lincolns profile. I carefully wiped the PVC residue off and resubmitted . . . expecting the worst. Came back PR65. I'm wondering if I hurt the grade with the residue removal or if the coin was just a soft strike? So, if PVC WILL leave residue on proof coins will it also leave residue on MS strikes?

Know this is old , but use Mylar , if you can find it , not the brand called Saf-T flip that is actually PVC , but the clear film flips that ARE mylar that you can get from supply houses , and yes you have to call them and have them look at what the flip is made of, they will sell you anything and most have no idea what they are selling ...I've found this out by asking the supply sellers at coin shows and getting responses all across the full gamut and spectrum . One brand called Safety Flips is actually PVC plasticized flips! I ruined an 09-S copper cent in one of those thinking it would be ok for a year or two...NOT. Supply companies do not care one stinking iota about your coins, they just want your money...so YOU have to take the extra step , whether they feel insulted or not ...who cares...it is your coins...ASK them , and then ask them to actually LOOK and see if what they are telling you is in deed the actual truth...I've stumped a dozen sales people so far with the Brand called Saf-T-Flip that you would think is SAFE, but is PVC...and not one of them knew it until I got them to actually look at it....the ones that got off their duffs and actually looked anyway.

Hope I do not sound too militant, but there are far too many 'feel good' folks that wanna help , but have no idea/clue , and after you ruin a few coins from listening to them , before taking it serious and finding out everything for yourself , you'll learn one way or another .

It depends how you removed the PVC. If you used a qtip and rolled it over the surface of the coin no harm would be done but if you literally rubbed the coin using a back and forth motion then you might get small scratches called hair lines and that may have been the cause of not getting a higher grade. Acetone is the only thing that will remove PVC if the PVC has not inbedded itself permanently.

Hey: Coin guy 2 posts above. You got me concerned. I have these things I bought over several thousand called "Saflip" the front says Polyethylene Terephthalate then below that

.......Inert and Flexible

.....Contains no PVC or Oil

......Heat Sealable...which I do

Are these OK? Thanks in advance for your help. Gene

Hey: Coin guy 2 posts above. You got me concerned. I have these things I bought over several thousand called "Saflip" the front says Polyethylene Terephthalate then below that

.......Inert and Flexible

.....Contains no PVC or Oil

......Heat Sealable...which I do

Are these OK? Thanks in advance for your help. Gene

If it says no PVC then you should be fine. Generally speaking, if you buy your flips from a reputable dealer you should be safe, as most dealers will only carry non-PVC flips.

the pvc issue seams to be a major proplem and i could not get a straight answer from the people tring to sell the flips.

i sent my coins wraped in shenile cloth placed in paper envelopes.

no plastic worries here.

My advice is to place the coin in a mylar flip rather than a 2x2 cardboard flip for shipping to the TPG.

Never use anything that contains PVC.

Personally, unless you're gambling on a return grade of PR-70, I don't see the need for submitting proof coins for grading and slabbing.