• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Baltimore Report

11 posts in this topic

I just finished writing about my trip to Baltimore and posted it on my blog. The problem is that it is 2am--I am tired and I need sleep so I can be in my office at a reasonable time. :devil: So I invite everyone to read the posting and comment here. I will give one tease with the coin posted below--I know it's not a great picture, but it is representative. Enjoy!

Scott :hi:

53687-2008-Australia-Silver-Koala.jpg.2957a617309d24897bdd21f146124574.jpg

Thanks for the report, Scott. I wonder if David Lange was rushing off to get a copy of his book to make comparisons with the new "vintage" coin boards that Whitman had for sale?

Were you able to find all of the SQ's that you need? I still have some uncirculated specimens which came from bags. No, these were not cherrypicked for high grades. This came at a time when I was searching for error coins from the first half of the program.

I'll bet that the "exit policy" would have changed real quick if someone had complained that it violated the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Chris

Thanks for the report....as for they hike to get out of there after being turned around by the security guard, I personally would have dialed 911 on the ole'cell phone, handed it to him and said, "Give directions cuz I will be passing out soon!"

That will open doors, but then again, that's just me. :insane:

Great report Scott. I have never been to any big coin show or smalll for that matter. Reports like this I feel prepare me for when one finally does come close enough to my neck of the woods.

Great report Scott. I have never been to any big coin show or smalll for that matter. Reports like this I feel prepare me for when one finally does come close enough to my neck of the woods.

How far are you from Chicago?

Chris

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Sorry I missed you, Scott. I was probably heading to the airport with the rest of the NGC crew, as we left Saturday afternoon. I'll be at the next Bawlmer show in June, as well as the ANA there in July.

I've been waiting months for the Whitman tribute coin boards, which were supposed to be ready for the last show in November but suffered delays. I bought singles of each title, as well as wholesale bundles of each which will be saved intact in my collection to show how they were issued.

These replicas are based on Third Edition Whitman boards issued 1938-41. They look quite similar to the originals on their faces, though Whitman used the metallic finish printing current for its folders in place of the matte silver used on the originals. Of course, the second board for Lincoln Cents, which takes the series to 1958, is entirely new. The listing of titles on the backs of the new boards is simply copied from the originals, and I don't believe there are plans to reissue any other titles.

Sorry I missed you, Scott. I was probably heading to the airport with the rest of the NGC crew, as we left Saturday afternoon. I'll be at the next Bawlmer show in June, as well as the ANA there in July.

I've been waiting months for the Whitman tribute coin boards, which were supposed to be ready for the last show in November but suffered delays. I bought singles of each title, as well as wholesale bundles of each which will be saved intact in my collection to show how they were issued.

These replicas are based on Third Edition Whitman boards issued 1938-41. They look quite similar to the originals on their faces, though Whitman used the metallic finish printing current for its folders in place of the matte silver used on the originals. Of course, the second board for Lincoln Cents, which takes the series to 1958, is entirely new. The listing of titles on the backs of the new boards is simply copied from the originals, and I don't believe there are plans to reissue any other titles.

David, it appears that Whitman has now taken up your "cause". Good for you!

Chris

Were you able to find all of the SQ's that you need? I still have some uncirculated specimens which came from bags. No, these were not cherrypicked for high grades. This came at a time when I was searching for error coins from the first half of the program.

I'll bet that the "exit policy" would have changed real quick if someone had complained that it violated the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Chris... I buy the SQs from Don Apte, an elderly gentleman I have bought modern uncirculated singles from for a few years. He is a gentleman whose prices are average. But I like giving my business to good people and he is one of those good people. He has everything I am looking for--mostly 2007 fillers. Thanks for the offer.

Apte's table happens to be next to Legend Numismatics. No, I did not see Laura Sperber. The Legend table was empty by the time I arrived in that area.

Thanks for the report....as for they hike to get out of there after being turned around by the security guard, I personally would have dialed 911 on the ole'cell phone, handed it to him and said, "Give directions cuz I will be passing out soon!"

That will open doors, but then again, that's just me. :insane:

As for making waves... I capable of turning (what my wife calls) "New York" on anyone who ticks me off. However, I was not feeling well and I really did not want to make that kind of fuss. I will compose a nice note to Dave Crenshaw at Whitman and explain my situation in a calm manner. It was not one of those things that I felt rose to the level of a major, on sight, kvetch.

Dave, I did not blame you! NGC is not one of the folks I complain about not being there because I would rather mail my submissions later. I just missed stopping by and saying hello--as I am a fan of your work! We passed each other on the second level in the Sheraton (I park in their garage). You were rushing to the down escalator as I turned the corner to go to the Convention Center. It's not a problem. I'll see you in June!!

My start in coin collecting came well after the coin board era. I was raised on the Whitman blue folders... which I still have my first three Lincoln Cent folders. But after reading about the coin boards, I went to the Whitman store at the show to see them. I thought they were so cool, I figured I would buy them and go through the tubes of cents and Buffaloes I have and plug in holes. It's not going to be a priority, but it looks like fun!!

Gee... and nobody commented on the Koala. I think I will continue to collect those as long as The Perth Mint issues them. They'll go along with the Maple Leafs, Britannias, Pandas, and Eagles. I just like those large silver coins!!

Scott,

Enjoyed the chat as always. I wish you would have mentioned your hunt for 2008 ASEs. We had them in one of our cases at the show.

WH

DRAT!! I was so tired and in pain I forgot. Sorry!!

We'll try again in June.