• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin Show Report - Parsippany, NJ

3 posts in this topic

Today I went to the first-Sunday-of-the-month, 80+ dealer show in Parsippany, NJ. As I've mentioned before, this is a very active show with a wide variety of material available.

Today was no exception - floor traffic was heavy and all of the dealers were back from Baltimore. While I could usually get down the aisles at a slow walk, I came to a dead stop in the first aisle about 10:30 - it was so stuffed I couldn't move!

I had nice (but brief) chats with ATS board members SeaEagleCoins and ScarsdaleCoin. Jon of Scarsdale confirmed that the new Legend auction venture would have its first live auction at CoinFest in November. I also saw about a dozen fellow members of the New Jersey Numismatic Society.

A couple of dealers had some significant rarities on display, including a PCGS MS-63 1929 half eagle (the first one I believe I've ever seen). I noticed a good selection of Morgans, including several NGC slabbed better dates (including 1896 and 1893-S). Larry of SeaEagleCoins had a really pretty NGC MS-66 1903 Morgan. Tom Hyland showed a Barber quarter that had been made into a locket (or "box") for a miniature. He said it was the first he had seen - usually one sees Trade dollar "box" dollars.

I also saw a scattering of older slabs on the floor, including several pre-bar code NGC no-line fatties (What Conder101 calls NGC 3 and NGC4, from 1987-1989 and 1989-1992, respectively) and two PCGS slabs of the PCGS 2 or 2.5 varieties used in late-1989. Plus, a bunch of PCGS rattlers, which are still pretty common.

I wasn't really in buying mode today, but I did sell a Russian 5 Ruble gold piece that I've had for several years - the price of gold is high enough that I wanted to take at least a little profit!

All-in-all, it was a good show!

Funny how I live about 16 miles from where this show is and have not been there since 2000. Busy making my spring bock beer today (Maibock, ie maibockaddict=mba). :grin:

I always thought of making the trip over the Hudson, but by the time I pay for tolls and gas its almost 20 dollars. One day I'll get out there.