• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1978 Coin Ad - Uncle Scrooge

7 posts in this topic

I've started to branch out in my collecting, to include coin-related comics. I picked this one up on eBay over the weekend. The auction only had a picture of the front of the slab, so I was surprised to see that the back had a 1978 Whitman ad. Pretty cool, huh?

1978-01UncleScrooge148SmallCrop.jpg

1978-01UncleScrooge148SmallReverse.jpg

I usually don't go to the CGC side of these forums so this is the first time I've seen slabbed comics.

So that brings up a question: if the comic is slabbed, how do you read them? I know that for coins it is the thrill of holding them. But a slabbed coin is not hiding internal pages like a comic book. Isn't the value of a comic book the comics themselves? Or am I missing something?

Scott :hi:

I usually don't go to the CGC side of these forums so this is the first time I've seen slabbed comics.

So that brings up a question: if the comic is slabbed, how do you read them? I know that for coins it is the thrill of holding them. But a slabbed coin is not hiding internal pages like a comic book. Isn't the value of a comic book the comics themselves? Or am I missing something?

Scott :hi:

Most comic guys will buy a higher grade comic in a slab, then buy a lower grade raw comic to read. That way, they can enjoy the storyline without lowering the condition of the comic.

But, some people do in fact crack comics out of slabs in order to read them.