• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1855 3CS - rim nick - killer strike - pay or pass?

13 posts in this topic

Here is an 1855 3CS with just about the best strike I've ever seen for this date. It has a cool reverse clash, too. Does the rim nick kill the deal? Would this slab at PCGS/NGC? The asking price is $250. The coin does have some luster and is close to AU.

18553CS-XF45-Dave-Obverse.jpg18553CS-XF45-Dave-Reverse.jpg

As normal, Mark, your logic is impeccable. I'm curious if a vast majority feels I'm being too picky. Who knows, maybe I'm too sensitive to very minor abstractions. I've just gotten trigger shy over coins that have any problems whatsoever because when I show it off or wish to sell, I get pummeled. I feel like one of Pavlov's dogs and automatically wince when I see a distraction.

The 1855 is a bit difficult to locate and I can understand you being tempted to compromise a bit. I don't think the rim nick would keep it out of a slab, but you never know. That nick is tiny on this coin. However, if that is a matching nick on the reverse like someone took a pair of scissors to the coin then it would probably be bagged.

While the strike on the shield is strong there is weakness near the rims. I've said it multiple times and this is a great example, these often come strong in the center and weak near the rim or weak in the center and strong near the rim but rarely strong all over. The rim is weak at "TED" and "STATES" is also weak near the rim. Some of the stars are flat.

The details look AU to me but the luster looks flat. That could be the picture and it may look better in hand. Overall, I think I would pass and wait for something better. The coin just looks too unimpressive.

Here is my 1855 which has a similar strike but is a bit stronger at the rims. Mine is in a PCGS AU50 holder and has much better eye appeal than the one you are showing (my opinion). I've had mine several years but hopefully there are still some nice ones out there that you can find.

53621-1855.jpg.b64c6c92ff5eb13c8f3caad87e679442.jpg

I would pass.

If the thing on the rim bothers you now, it will probably continue to bother you in the future. Coins that bother you aren't as much fun.

As normal, Mark, your logic is impeccable. I'm curious if a vast majority feels I'm being too picky. Who knows, maybe I'm too sensitive to very minor abstractions. I've just gotten trigger shy over coins that have any problems whatsoever because when I show it off or wish to sell, I get pummeled. I feel like one of Pavlov's dogs and automatically wince when I see a distraction.

Bruce, collectors are fully entitled to be as picky as they choose. Go with what works (or doesn't work) for you - that's what ultimately counts.

If you have to talk yourself into buying a coin because there is something about it that you don't like, you should pass. There are plenty of AU trimes in the market, so it's not a situation in which you likely couldn't find one that you like later this year.

This isn't a case where I'm looking for any AU trime. I'm looking for a nice XF/AU 1855. That's why this particular one caused me to ponder. This date is extremely difficult to find anywhere at any grade. I'm quite jealous of the PCGS AU50, RGT!

Yes, as much as it hurts, this is probably a pass for me.

I think I would pass, too. The 1855 is, I think, the toughest of the Type-II Trimes.

It took me more than a year of looking at shows to find one to my liking. In that year, I passed on a couple of them. One that I saw at show after show was AU details, but it was heavily hairlined from a harsh cleaning. I might have taken it for VF-30 money, but it was being offered at full retail. I'm glad I waited. I found a no-problem coin in a slightly lower grade that I'm very happy with.

Prethen, I have owned that trime for about ten years and it was one of the first, if not the first, trime I bought. I wish I could say that my superior knowledge led me to that coin but it was pure luck that dropped it in my lap. I have learned a lot about these tiny coins since then and that makes me appreciate it more all the time. I have kept an eye out for an upgrade but I have yet to find one that I liked at a price that I was willing to pay. Good luck finding yours.

I recently posted a picture in the new acquisition thread of my 1854 that I picked up last December. That is another hard to find date and I looked a long time for that one too. I am still missing the 1857 and I would like to upgrade my 1856 and 1858. So many coins to find and so little selection (and cash).