• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whats going on with this???

16 posts in this topic

It looks like the collar broke on that side and the area you see is beyond the edge of the die.

That's my guess. (shrug)

Scott :hi:

I'll bet if you look at the edge of the coin it will have a slight "cupped" appearance. My bet is this a cent removed from a good luck encasement. To make the encasements they put the cent into a blank aluminum ring and strike the ring with a set of dies. Often the die will "tag" the rim of th cent and leave some of the design there.

Hummmmmmmm, I am looking at the edge of the coin and the edge looks normal. (The edge, not the rim.) I had thought of this situation but am leaning towards something else. The only reason I would not think it happened this way is because I know where the coin came from. It is from a roll from my dad. Im not 100% sure of anything about this coin other than the fact that it was originally from my dad. This one is stumping me big time.

It looks like the collar broke on that side and the area you see is beyond the edge of the die.

That's my guess. (shrug)

Scott :hi:

Scott, if the collar broke, wouldn't it have some effect on both sides of the coin? I assume that the reverse is the hammer die. Isn't it possible that the die began to deteriorate along the rim?

Chris

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I believe Conder101 had it right. This was a "lucky penny" encasement.

I'll bet if you look at the edge of the coin it will have a slight "cupped" appearance. My bet is this a cent removed from a good luck encasement. To make the encasements they put the cent into a blank aluminum ring and strike the ring with a set of dies. Often the die will "tag" the rim of th cent and leave some of the design there.

I believe this man is edging on Brilliance with his knowledge of coins/collecting.

Everytime he posts I have to say - wow he is right - and then think - How the hell does he know this stuff :) (thumbs u

Thanks for being here man your knowledge is a great resource :headbang: