• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Aren't compact flourescents going to ruin the coin show experience?

29 posts in this topic

With incandescents going away, how exactly will collectors/dealers be able to properly evaluate the coins they're going to buy? Halogen light is too harsh, but shows hairlines pretty well.

What are the alternatives?

There you go...you can corner the market on a form of hand held light source that can counteract the harsh fluorescent lighting. (thumbs u

With incandescents going away, how exactly will collectors/dealers be able to properly evaluate the coins they're going to buy? Halogen light is too harsh, but shows hairlines pretty well.

Natural sunlight.

One thing to look into are Ott lights. They are supposed to be more natural. Personally, I think they are too white whereas sunlight is a little more yellow.

Scott :hi:

Why are incandescents going away? I use, and will continue to use them, and I always bring my own lamps to shows.

Why are incandescents going away? I use, and will continue to use them, and I always bring my own lamps to shows.

Some environmental extremists in “progressive states” like California have advocated that incandescent light bulbs be banned from the market. This is another example of how Big Brother is looking out for us again.

Conversely some consumer advocates have complained about the “curly lights” that the environmental extremists what to stuff down our throats. They point out that these lights are expensive, give off a type of light that many people find annoying and contain Mercury. The Mercury poses health concerns if the light is broken, and I would add the improper disposal of worn out lights would also pose an environmental hazard.

But of course we all know that environmental extremists are the high priests of the environmental religion, and that Big Brother is always right.

I’m an advocate of choice. If you want to use PC curly lights, go ahead. If you want to use incandescent bulbs all the time or if you want to use them for special applications, like viewing coins, that should be your right. Big Brother should stay out of it.

Halogen light is too harsh, but shows hairlines pretty well.

It's always infuriated me that the coins under my lens look so different than the ones under my loupe, when they're the same coin. :)

Looked at from another standpoint, incandescent lights have given us an "incorrect" perspective on things all along, since they do not duplicate the color temperature of natural sunlight. We've adjusted our sights to compensate, but anyone with a camera knows that the coin we see under a 60w light is not the coin we see at noon out on the deck.

CFL's, on the other hand, have the ability to come much closer to that hypothetical "sunlight at Noon" color temperature.

The point is, I think we've always been compensating for lighting in the evaluation of coins. If incandescents go away, we'll just learn a new set of rules to compensate.

I guess this begs the question, "Which is the nicer coin?"

IMG_1736a%7E0.jpg

IMG_1735a%7E0.jpg

IMG_1278a.jpg

My vote would be the first picture because I think it captures the "frost" that is attractive. The last picture allows one to see detail quite well but makes the coin appear dipped.

I’ll take a guess:

1921 Morgan #1 florescent lighting

1921 Morgan #2 Halogen light

1921 Morgan #3 Incandescent light

It’s three pictures of the same coin.

And BTW for my money #1 is the worst picture. The luster is not shown properly, and the marks are hidden. That's why the curley lights don't work for viewing and grading coins.

They will always be available as specialty lights.

On the halogen being to harsh comment. Reveal now has some nice indoor Halogen lights. They work great.

For the record, I don't shoot anything with CFL's; none of the pics above involved fluorescent lighting. Never even tried one. I use a Circline fluorescent for Proofs, but that's it. The first pic is a 50w Reveal at 10:00 and a 50w Halogen at 1:00, through a diffuser (you can see the problematic white balance); the second is the 50w halogen alone and unfiltered; and the third is a small bathroom full of incandescent lighting totaling 300w and all indirect off the walls.

Some environmental extremists in “progressive states” like California have advocated that incandescent light bulbs be banned from the market. This is another example of how Big Brother is looking out for us again.

Conversely some consumer advocates have complained about the “curly lights” that the environmental extremists what to stuff down our throats. They point out that these lights are expensive, give off a type of light that many people find annoying and contain Mercury. The Mercury poses health concerns if the light is broken, and I would add the improper disposal of worn out lights would also pose an environmental hazard.

But of course we all know that environmental extremists are the high priests of the environmental religion, and that Big Brother is always right.

I’m an advocate of choice. If you want to use PC curly lights, go ahead. If you want to use incandescent bulbs all the time or if you want to use them for special applications, like viewing coins, that should be your right. Big Brother should stay out of it.

I am an advocate of choice, too. But I also like a clean environment. For me, a better solution to banning incandescent lights is to simply turn them off when not in use.

I hope they are not banned. I hate fluorescent lighting. It's hard on the eyes.

I must be getting extremely lucky with my picture taking then...these 3 examples are with a single halogen light and a little camera/coin tilt till I get the angle and color I desire..

53645-MVC-497S.jpg.40227c56c012797a2e56f11fa46ca996.jpg

53646-MVC-503S.jpg.14af15a545ce3c77238b1a27912b060a.jpg

53647-MVC-517S.jpg.c8523c993b6f93320f1ec983ae4c8b98.jpg

53648-MVC-729S.jpg.31bddce6257d66268569f3fefba3d68a.jpg

I think it has been mandated by congress that they be removed from the market by 2014 (I could have the date wrong). They will not save the environment because they have high concentrations of poisonous mercury inside. Make sure you don't tell anyone of official capacity if you accidently break a compact flourescent lightbub...you will regret the expenses incured for cleanup.

I think it has been mandated by congress that they be removed from the market by 2014 (I could have the date wrong). They will not save the environment because they have high concentrations of poisonous mercury inside. Make sure you don't tell anyone of official capacity if you accidently break a compact flourescent lightbub...you will regret the expenses incured for cleanup.

I was not aware of any Federal legislation on this. The only bill I have read about was in La-La Land where the nuts and squirrels rule the roost

As with grading nicer is subjective.Subjectively nicer to me ? The subjectiveness of a group

giving the subjectivism together?I like them all so as a subjectivist I'm the wrong on to ask

What type of light will dealers use to showcase their coins? Not every collector is going to go around with personal lamps in hand with archaic and scarce incadescent bulbs.

I was not aware of any Federal legislation on this. The only bill I have read about was in La-La Land where the nuts and squirrels rule the roost

Here you go, I dug up a story on it:

http://worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=45156

I think it has been mandated by congress that they be removed from the market by 2014 (I could have the date wrong).

That was my understanding as well

They will not save the environment because they have high concentrations of poisonous mercury inside.

Well they have TINY amounts of mercury inside. while I would not recommend eating one frankly there really isn't anything to worry about from the mercury they contain. Yes mercury is poisonous, but it's not as "deadly" as they make it out to be.

And coinman is right, if you break one don't let the authorities know. They go crazy over the clean up efforts. About two years ago they spent a bundle of money rmodeling the public library in Muncie IN. Shortly after it reopened someone broke a flouresent bulb. The clean up cost over a quarter of a million dollars. After they finished someone broke another one.

What type of light will dealers use to showcase their coins? Not every collector is going to go around with personal lamps in hand with archaic and scarce incadescent bulbs.

There is actually one dealer who goes around the bourse floor with a halogen light. Whenever he comes to look at your coins, he insists that you plug his light in so that he can examine the pieces.

And I'll tell you this about florescent lights. If that’s what you bring to show to light your display case, you will lose a lot of business. I learned that at the very show I ever did back in 1973. Having florescent lights over a coin case is akin to a butcher having red lights over his display cases.

Incandescent bulbs are approximately 3400 degrees K, flourescent about 4000K, direct sunlight is about 8000-10000 K. They can make flourescent light that are close to the color temperature of sunlight.

And coinman is right, if you break one don't let the authorities know. They go crazy over the clean up efforts. About two years ago they spent a bundle of money rmodeling the public library in Muncie IN. Shortly after it reopened someone broke a flouresent bulb. The clean up cost over a quarter of a million dollars. After they finished someone broke another one.

Interesting, as a teenager working for Albertsons, we used to have fun throwing the long fluorescent tube-lights into the dumpster and watch them pop.

So, I guess that manufacturers have already or will be creating flourescent bulbs that dealers and collectors will be happy to have on the bourse floor?

So, I guess that manufacturers have already or will be creating flourescent bulbs that dealers and collectors will be happy to have on the bourse floor?

None that I have seen.