• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hello-1886 Morgan-Discovery?????

5 posts in this topic

Hello,

I'm Tery, I will be posting a most unusual 1886 Morgan. So far on a few other forums, nobody knows what to think about it. I'll post the link where you can see some photos. I am house sitting and only have laptop, other wise I would post it here! Thanks for any input anyone could give me. One person said it was a VAM6, but that is not the interesting part. On the R side of the coin there seems to be an "inside collar" struck underneath the letters! Check it out:)

Thanks,

Tery

http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26495

Sorry the pics are not that great, just getting the hang of this.

The pictures leave a lot to be desired but going off what I can see.....there does appear to be a raise line going through some of the letters on the reverse. It does not look to be a die break and without better images that clearly show the error in question in better clarity/lighting...I am afriad I can't be more helpful.

Bottom line is that I do see something unusual.....I just can't hazzard a guess whether it occured during striking or if it's post mint damage hm

The pictures leave a lot to be desired but going off what I can see.....there does appear to be a raise line going through some of the letters on the reverse. It does not look to be a die break and without better images that clearly show the error in question in better clarity/lighting...I am afriad I can't be more helpful.

Bottom line is that I do see something unusual.....I just can't hazzard a guess whether it occured during striking or if it's post mint damage hm

Welcome to the neighborhood, Tery! You'll have to excuse Shane. He's not into VAM's. As for your Morgan, I haven't got the slightest idea what you see in it. Of course, I've been playing pool and drinking all day.

Chris

Thanks for the welcome Chris! Take a look again today, when your hangover wears off...lol. Someone on the Vam site, said it looks to be a VAM6, but there are so many interesting things on this coin. Look at the last pic attached and tell me what you think about the E.

Thanks, Tery

Hi, Tery! Nope, I didn't wake up with a hangover, but I still can't see too much in your pics. Are they scans or photos? Unless you are using a camera with a macro lens or a stereomicroscope with a camera attachment, enlargements tend to become too fuzzy, and it makes it hard to study the details. It does look like there may be some die cracks on the "E" and "R", but that is not uncommon. As a rule, die cracks are not usually noteworthy to justify a VAM designation. More often, they are used as markers to determine die state.

Chris