• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bobby, this post is for you!

11 posts in this topic

The Republic of Somalia issued six multi-colored motorcycle coins dated 2007 as a follow up to their guitar-shaped coins of 2004. These multi-color motorcycle coins resemble classic motorcycles. The coins are copper nickel in composition, plated with silver and then enameled on the obverse in the colorful designs depicted above. The reverses are plain silver in color (not enameled) and read "ONE DOLLAR, SOMALI REPUBLIC, 2004" around a crest.

linkage

53579-000a.jpg.0cdbef1e431915060806c05c997fa278.jpg

Those are pretty cool Victor. I've seen them before and used to watch a whole set on ebay for quite a while but just never saved for them. I think they're neat and there are a lot of people that have never seen coins like this. I still freak people out with my Somalia Guitar Dollar.

You can find the ones I posted here (from 2/23/08).

Should should order them from Wayne. Aside from being a member here, I know he has plenty... I was in Baltimore and has a nice chat with him while sitting in front of the case with about 10 sets of the motorcycle and guitar coins.

Scott :hi:

53078-2007-Somalia-Motorcycles.jpg

Looks like I need to broaden my horizons, and visit the World Coin thread occasionally. :)

Looks like I need to broaden my horizons, and visit the World Coin thread occasionally. :)

It's a big world, and the US is just a small part of it. Get out and see the world.

It's a big world, and the US is just a small part of it. Get out and see the world.

I do!! Did you see my 2008 Koala here? I also have silver Britannias, Maple Leafs, and Pandas. I also have most of the notes issued by the Bank of Israel and now working on the Bank Leumi notes from statehood through 1955. So I get out and see the world numismatically! :headbang:

I agree..those are VERY cool designs for coins. The guitar series blew me away. I am kinda partial to the guitar series, but the bike series is quite cool in and of itself. Can you imagine the U.S. Mint making stuff like this?

I agree..those are VERY cool designs for coins. The guitar series blew me away. I am kinda partial to the guitar series, but the bike series is quite cool in and of itself. Can you imagine the U.S. Mint making stuff like this?

It would be interesting to know why Somalia came up with these specific things as coin.

It would be interesting to know why Somalia came up with these specific things as coin.

Really. Good question. Somalia isn't necessarily hip to the American way of life and they kill tens of thousands of Christians every year.

To get the capitalist pigs in the United States to buy these NCLT coins. They are making money selling the coins and the last I heard, Somalia needs some extra cash.

Considering the goings on in Somalia, I feel mildly guilty buying the motorcycle coins. But I find them so appealing that one can only hope that the money does not go to the civil war that has killed too many people.