• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OK - when did this happen ????

10 posts in this topic

Well I don't know what caused it but I am quite happy to see this Forum showing signs of life 893applaud-thumb.gif I used to stop by here often - but there was so little activity that even I couldn't find much to read. And I read everything grin.gif

Gonna have to come by more often now. Might even post a pic or two 893whatthe.gif

1000%20shilling%20obv.jpg

Nice coin GDJ. Post away!

Are you going to be at the show in Sandy that's coming up? It's the 24th and 25th, right?

Yeah Spiny - I'll be there. Show runs 24th through 26th. But shhhhhh - we don't want to wake up truthteller 893naughty-thumb.gif

Meanwhile - here's another pic grin.gif

1761-M%208%20reale%20rev.jpg

1761-M%208%20reale%20obv.jpg

Thanks. I'm hoping to make it to the show. I'm not sure if I'll still be in SLC by the weekend or if I'll be down in St. George by then.

So would I Hoot - know where I can find some 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Examples with detail like the one pictured above are not so easy to come by. If it wasn't for that ding on the reverse - well you get the idea.

Here's another - again not so easy to come by. It's not in the best of shape and has suffered some damage. But that's quite alright with me wink.gif According to Gilboy there are only 4 - 10 known.

17694realerev2.jpg

17694realeobv1.jpg

Very nice example John. I don't have any really nice ones of the Carlos IIII - yet frown.gif

I do however have a rather nice Carlos III smile.gif

1777-PTS%208%20reale%20obv.jpg

1777-PTS%208%20reale%20rev.jpg

Many folks have their own ideas for the origin of our dollar sign $. As for me - I am convinced that the coins like the one above are the true origin of this $. Notice the mint mark - the overlapped PTS of Potosi.