• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Identifying a 1964 Jefferson SMS vs. Proof

6 posts in this topic

How would I be able to tell the difference between a 1964 proof Jefferson nickel and one that was struck in the latter part of 1964 as part of a test for the soon to be released 1965 “Special Mint Set?”

Also, does anyone have any images of this illusive coin?

Interesting question, I would very much like to know also.

I can imagine taking a 65 SMS and comparing the surface to a 63 or 64 Proof. The difference should be similar.

Interesting question, I would very much like to know also.

I can imagine taking a 65 SMS and comparing the surface to a 63 or 64 Proof. The difference should be similar.

I saw a number of the 1964 SMS coins while a grader at NGC and have seen a few others since that time. They are not as different from regular issue 1964 business strikes as other date SMS coins are from circulation strikes. I would be surprised if most images would provide a good way to tell the difference and believe that in-hand examination/comparison would probably be required.

By the way, welcome Ben. ;)

Were these '64 SMS nickels put into general circulation by the Mint or were they put in proof sets?

Hoot, if you're not too busy hitting the books, can you shed any light on this?

Chris

Looks like a slightly better than average strike 1964 cent. Rather ugly, I wouldn't pay more than a couple dollars for it.