• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1853 w arrows half dime just received back from NGC

18 posts in this topic

Here is a half dime I just got back, what grade do you feel it received? I did not trim the holder away so as not to make anyone think the angle was contrived to cover up a blemish. This little coin is deep in the center of the holder and the pics were the best I could do. I was afraid to have it conserved and lose the toning, so the attached grime remains. Thanks

Jim

1853warrowsslabbed.jpg

I'm glad you did not have this coin "conserved." (thumbs u It's just fine the way it is.

As the grade, it's very hard to grade Mint State or even near Mint State coins from pictures. My guess would be MS-63 since I can't see any wear in the photo, but that's assuming that one can see some luster under the toning with the coin is turned in the light. If the surfaces are dull, the grade would be somewhere in the AU-58 to MS-61 area.

What a great looking half dime. I agree with your decision to NOT have it conserved. Gradewise is a tough call but I would put that between au55 and ms61. Now what do I win? lol

This is not a coin to conserve. If you had then the spots on the reverse above "half dime" would have remained and it would have made for a fugly coin. It looks AU58 to me but it is hard to tell.

Can't really tell if the fields have hairlines from those photos.

It could be AU55 or MS62 with a slight weakness in strike on the obverse. My guess is it is somewhere in this range.

To be honest, I was thinking EF-45.... guess I just can't grade from these types of images.

That was what I was thinking, too - I'm just glad you said it first. ;)

Here's my VF25 example from my type set that I got from James Garcia. I have no intentions of ever upgrading it 'cause it is perfect the way it is for my tastes. :cloud9:

10815218O.jpg10815218R.jpg

I was thinking in the XF45-AU50 range, and a very nice looking one. So, when do we find out the grade NGC gave it?

I purchased this coin off Ebay for $34+ S/H, I washed it with soap and water to clean some grit and sent it off hoping for a grade of EF to AU and it returned with the grade of AU50. No photo I'm capable of taking shows the luster present in this coin. It absolutley radiates even with the dark toning. Thanks for all of your responses-just for your info, more people guessed a higher grade than a lower one. I am well satisfied with the purchase. Thanks again-Jim.

Thanks for the update. You got a great deal on that one. Your angled photo makes it difficult to see the flatness on the leg. I guess that the color difference that is usually a tell-tale was washed off making it even harder to tell from the photo. The leaves in the wreath are missing some detail but they are often struck that way so that didn't help. I can see how many gave it a higher grade.

Here's one I picked up raw on ebay last year, but I paid almost $60 delivered. It was advertised as XF-AU and I recorded it in my database as XF45. I think mine has a tiny bit more detail than yours and still has enough luster that it could easily get slabbed AU also. This one is for my 7070 so it stays raw. (thumbs u

53612-1853_s.jpg.de00f9e9810322a44e60d106ffcfcd6b.jpg

Great pickup, RGT. I agree your coin has a little better detail than mine and I really like the die clashes on the reverse-at least it looks like die clashes just above the ribbon and up above the E and under the F, also something going on between the top of the wreaths. Great coin and great addition to your 7070. Thanks for all your responses, gang. I appreciate the nice comments.

Jim