• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bald Eagle Commems

28 posts in this topic

I finally received my order today for the UNC G$5's and the PRF & UNC S$'s and clad halves. I am totally unimpressed with all of the designs. They look like they might be something you would find in a box of Cracker Jacks or a gumball machine. Needless to say, I will be returning them for a refund, and I think I am just about done with the modern commems from the Mint.

Chris

Chris your just mad because you cant get any decent pic's of them :baiting:

:jokealert: I haven't seen any in hand yet what specifically dont you like about them?

Chris your just mad because you cant get any decent pic's of them :baiting:

:jokealert: I haven't seen any in hand yet what specifically dont you like about them?

The fact that I take lousy pictures has nothing to do with it even though you're right. lol lol

I really enjoy seeing bald eagles fly around here in Southwest Florida, but these designs just give me the blahs. No oohs and aahs!

Chris

I really enjoy seeing bald eagles fly around here in Southwest Florida, but these designs just give me the blahs. No oohs and aahs!

Chris

Well, Chris, I could say the same about your bald crown but I still like ya. :baiting:

I just got mine yesterday, the email came last night, and I like them. I'm not a big fan of the chic's but I like the reverse much better. My favorite is the gold piece. For some reason or another I really like the look of the seal on the reverse.

I'll include some pics in the new coin thread.

Of course in the end "beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

I just received mine today and I like them a lot. I think it's the best design since the Marine Comm. While I don't think any of mine(5 -unc, 5-PF, 3- $5) would make a 70 I believe they are all 69's.

From the photos I liked all but the chick designs. I just could not bring my self to buy them when there are so many other things to look forward to like the Buffalo Fractionals.

Chris

Well, Chris, I could say the same about your bald crown but I still like ya. :baiting:

I don't have any crowns in my collection. Ask Dooly.

Chris

BECOKA Welcome aboard

Thanks,

I waited a long time because these boards will not let me use my gmail account. Pain in the royal *ss.

I finally broke down and gave my work e-mail. I will not be notified of thread updates because of this. Otherwise there is just as much knowledge over here to soak up and that was my final reasoning.

I think it's the best design since the Marine Comm

Frankly that's not saying much.

I guess it's a personal preference kind of thing. I like the symbolism, history, and art of both the Marine Corp and Bald Eagle coins.

There is more than a little bit of patriotism associated with both designs. They both symbolize uniquely American icons and I like that. I guess that could be said for other commems as well but these two designs are my favorites.

Maybe it's kind of the same thing as some people like ford and some Toyota (no one likes GM :) ).

The only side I don't care for is the reverse of the silver dollar. That big shield in front of the eagle's body with those spindly legs sticking out looks odd, almost like a turtle.

I agree they're not the best the mint has produced...but they're definately not the worst (Special Olympics!)

Yup, you coulda opened the package and saw this doh!

ugly.jpg

By the way, is that Hillary? :pullhair:

MM :grin:

I agree they're not the best the mint has produced...but they're definately not the worst (Special Olympics!)

Yup, you coulda opened the package and saw this doh!

ugly.jpg

By the way, is that Hillary? :pullhair:

MM :grin:

It looks more like Bill when he was trying to avoid the draft.

Chris

This is a first!

I got an email from the mint saying that my coins were being shipped today. Usually, I get the email after the fact. :boo:

By the way, is that Hillary?

Eunice Shriver, JFK's sister. Well we've had JFK, his broher Bobby, his sister Eunice, all we have to do now is figure out an excuse to put Teddy on a coin. (Oh and a commemorative for fallen hero Joseph Kennedy Jr.)

My coins arrived the same day I came home from my unexpected hospitalization. Fortunately, since I was being discharged that day, I had someone home and thus a signature available for FedEx.

I of course did NOT open the box until I could figure out WHICH order it was, since we never know any more.

I never went looking that night, I had too much to deal with -- Pain, contusions, bloody looking bruises the size of George W. Bush's EGO....

However, the next AFTERNOON, I had an email from the Mint saying they were shipping my coins THAT day (HA!). So, I forget if their announcement said they were switching TPAs from Accenture (mostly OVERSEAS no less -- our government is worried about US jobs, right?) Or were they switching TO Accenture?

Either way, I know I got my Email "shipment confirmation" that an order was SHIPPING "that day" THE DAY AFTER the order arrived (just like I've always gotten from the Mint, 100% of the time for years). Nothing has changed.

:makepoint:

P.S. On an UPBEAT NOTE: I had a second package from the Mint that day, separate from all of my various Bald Eagle orders:

Some of you may have read my earlier post elsewhere on these boards that late in January, I was wandering on the Mint's web site, and happened across an item, a 2007 leftover $100 - 1oz Proof Platinum Eagle, Maximum Mintage Limit 6,000. The price was right at $1,740. I snagged myself one of those. Had I been smart, I would have bought two, but my AMEX was already feeling the "melt" from the Platinum Eagle 10th Anniversary Set, not to mention several large submissions to NGC, a HUGE box of Bald Eagle Commemoratives, etc.

Well, it seems that within a few days of me ordering it, the site was updated to change the price to $1980 or something like that (where it stands now), but there is a caveat. They aren't for sale any more. No platinum is for sale on the Mint web site right now, and they say this:

Due to the increasing market value of platinum, the American Eagle Platinum Proof Coins are temporarily unavailable while pricing for this option can be adjusted; therefore, no orders can be taken at this time.

Price: $1,979.95

Product is not available.

53516-7T1_large.jpg.462caddab1826e2b38be158abacd4c1b.jpg