• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage prices

14 posts in this topic

well im glad i went to look. i hadnt logged in there for a long time.

the different comanies price guide prices are shown to give a estemate price to bid. i have found coin world values to be a tad high along with pcgs nut if u use all you will get a good idea of what to pay. they are just extra honest :)

New here, so I hope this isn't too stupid of a question. When I look at a coin on Heritage's site, and scroll down and see price guide, how accurate are these prices. And, saying I like the coin, which of these prices should a bid be based upon?

Welcome to our friendly little neighorhood!

I assume you are a retail customer, so the prices that would concern you most would be the "Coin World" prices. I find that they are useful, but not necessarily accurate.

If you have access to a greysheet (wholesale) and a retail price guide, try to be somewhere between those two.

A better price guide is to look at what the same coin has sold for in the past.

Did you have specific coins in mind?

Welcome to our little corner of the numismatic world.

The key word is "guide." These price guides are accurate as guides for the audience they are published for. The guide information in the Heritage Auctions shows a few guide services to give you an idea of what their "experts" are saying about the prices. These numbers can vary widely or be very close. You should decided based on your interest and budget.

Good luck!

Scott :hi:

Welcome to the forum, Charlie. :hi:

Everyone has their own idea of how to figure their ideal bid price - here is how I do it:

I make a list of coins that I am interested in purchasing, and the grade, or grade range, that I prefer. I then go to several auction sites, including DLRC, Heritage, Teletrade, ebay, and others, and search their auction archives to see what prices the coins have brought in the last year or so. I will also look to see if they have any coming up for sale, and put them on my watchlist. Then, when the auction ends, assuming I didn't purchase the coin, I will add the price realized to my database. This way, I have an idea of what the coins have actually sold for recently, instead of just a guide, which may or may not be accurate and up to date.

Being the cheapskate that I am, I will usually try to buy coins at or below the lowest price realized, but if it is a coin that I really want, reason sometimes goes out the window. :)

BTW, I have no idea where these prices are compared to graysheet prices, but I would guess that they are probably closer to retail.

Hope this is of some help.

Welcome Charlie,

As previously, mentioned do your homework and you will be less apt to be surprised. Also, note that sometimes that coins selling low end up costing you more due to the fees involved. Select your coin and grade, study past sales(noting toning differences causing price fluctuations) and place your bid. Be careful bidding for many coins as you just might get them-be prepared to afford what you bid for.

Jim

Heritage Prices Realized is the best place to go for current pricing. Usually, the Heritage lot info includes Numismedia wholesale and retail, and PCGS retail. Use these figures along with past auction sales to get a good idea on what to pay for what you want. Remember that PCGS retail is only for PCGS holdered coins, other grading service coins bring less money.

Attending coin shows often gets one the best prices. Web site purchases are normally full retail - or more!

Heritage Prices Realized is the best place to go for current pricing. Usually, the Heritage lot info includes Numismedia wholesale and retail, and PCGS retail. Use these figures along with past auction sales to get a good idea on what to pay for what you want. Remember that PCGS retail is only for PCGS holdered coins, other grading service coins bring less money.

Attending coin shows often gets one the best prices. Web site purchases are normally full retail - or more!

I agree, one of the benefits of bidding at auction is that you cut out the middle man. Many dealers buy their inventory at auction and have to mark up above this. Using the auction history is a very good indicator of what you should be paying.

So, in general, (I understand it really depends on the coin and the desire to obtain it), if the bid is about the same as Numismedia wholesale and that is in line with recent sales, that would be good for a winning bid?

I think that is a very good way to look at it. You can also search other dealer inventory's and look at past e-bay auctions to see if anything looks out of place. Sometimes a bidding war happens and there are some very wealthy people that just don't care and have to have it.

I would say that their price guide is in line with the Grey Sheet, in other words, dealer wholesale. Heritage's auction price history is a more accurate guide to retail prices.