• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Conserving Wartime Zinc?

5 posts in this topic

Anyone know if NCS has any success conserving zinc coins?...I just bought one I'd like slabbed from the Nederlands circa 1943 but I wish it had a bit more luster...any experiences or thoughts would be appreciated.....

Well, no amount of conserving is going to add luster. And if there is a problem with it, you are probably out of luck. Zinc is highly reactive and corrodes very quickly and easily, which is why a large number of the wartime era coins are really ugly.

I sent a 43 D to NCS to remove some PVC damage , they recovered the coin really well , with even surfaces , however , it only graded 65 over at NGC . The damage was mostly concentrated along the rim and high points . Dar n shame , before I negligently put it into 'temporary' plastic flip and forgot about it in a desk drawer , it could make a baby jealous for its smooth skin . I completely went through my entire house and tossed every single suspect flip into the trash bin after that .

So , yes NCS can save it if it isn't too far gone , and mine was a Mr. Yuk , but do you think it would be worth it?

.........however, luster, as the Charlestonian Physics-fan said .....luster is born when the coin is struck...it is the microscopic flow lines on the surface that give it the cartwheel effect when you hold the coin flat and slightly tilt it while turning it too an fro ...if the lines are slightly obscured via hazing , they might help with making it easier to see , but if the surface is impaired , from rub or contact or corrosion , no , probably not .

Does the surface look natural , as a coin of that age 'should' look ? If so ...it is where you want it to be . my 2 cents.

thanks for the help e1...you're right, I shouldn't have used the term "luster"..I'd just like the color to be a little lighter...you know how zinc can get a slate gray after a while..just was hoping a bit more silvery color..again thanks..I'll probably leave it as is, it's just a $35-40 coin anyhow

A slate grey zinc coin cannot be recovered to silvery color, as far as I know. At least not and look natural. The slate grey is zinc oxide, similar to toning on silver coins. The best analogy is brown copper - once it turns brown, trying to make it look red again only ruins it.