• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dollar coin... REALLY informal survey

5 posts in this topic

Good Tuesday to ya'.

Had to run to the bank today and among my missions was to get SBA and Sacajuwea (I never remember how to spell that) dollar coins, and another pair for the winner of the "Man, is that coin UGLY" contest. .and turns out he is from Finland.

Anyway, Sacajuweas were dripping from every drawer, rolls, blobs, bunches...but there was only 1 SBA. There were no rolls of the "new" presidential dollar coins. My wife is a library director just over the state line and is doing a display for Women's History Month. She wanted the dollar coins for her display. I offered her (with gritted teeth) my slabbed examples but "unfortunately" she wants them raw. (Phew!)

Of course, this bank is in PODUNK, Massachusetts, just over the state line from the RI sticks but I thought I would not have a problem.. Oh well...Niklas of Finland, if you're reading this, I'll send the Susan B Anthony dollar and find something else from the U.S. that I hope will be a nice addition to your U.S.A..collection, my pleasure. I assume that the 15 minor foreign coins are not your collecting area?

I wonder what percentage of SBA dollars are gathering dust in dresser drawers?

Speaking of income taxes???...we got our completed returns back from our tax dude...I was so hoping to use my refund for a $50 buffalo. Well, it appears that I will have to buy the $50 buffalo for Uncle Sam...and a couple of buffalo cubs too. BUMMER! .

All the best, guys. Be well.

Ri Al

(shrug)

I thought there was a survey ?

Well , hope your Finn buddy doesn't think our women here are barren after seeing the SBA coin.... :o

I've noticed that down here in Podunk South East , US of A ...the SBAs are drying up at the local branch banks also . It's not my fault , though, I spend as many beat-up dollar coins as I can get my hands on . (thumbs u

Good Tuesday to ya'.

Had to run to the bank today and among my missions was to get SBA and Sacajuwea (I never remember how to spell that) dollar coins, and another pair for the winner of the "Man, is that coin UGLY" contest. .and turns out he is from Finland.

Anyway, Sacajuweas were dripping from every drawer, rolls, blobs, bunches...but there was only 1 SBA. There were no rolls of the "new" presidential dollar coins. My wife is a library director just over the state line and is doing a display for Women's History Month. She wanted the dollar coins for her display. I offered her (with gritted teeth) my slabbed examples but "unfortunately" she wants them raw. (Phew!)

Of course, this bank is in PODUNK, Massachusetts, just over the state line from the RI sticks but I thought I would not have a problem.. Oh well...Niklas of Finland, if you're reading this, I'll send the Susan B Anthony dollar and find something else from the U.S. that I hope will be a nice addition to your U.S.A..collection, my pleasure. I assume that the 15 minor foreign coins are not your collecting area?

I wonder what percentage of SBA dollars are gathering dust in dresser drawers?

Speaking of income taxes???...we got our completed returns back from our tax dude...I was so hoping to use my refund for a $50 buffalo. Well, it appears that I will have to buy the $50 buffalo for Uncle Sam...and a couple of buffalo cubs too. BUMMER! .

All the best, guys. Be well.

Ri Al

I live in east no-where Connecticut, on the Massachusetts state line. In my experience, it is the LARGER banks which do NOT carry the odd items like Sacagawea Dollars, SBAs, and the Presidentials.

What we've found is that our local Credit Union carries a FULL STOCK of all the "oddities" if you will, including, but not limited to: SBAs, Sacagaweas, Ikes (I love when I can get Ikes, they are really fun to leave TIPS with!), Presidential dollars, and Kennedy Half Dollars.

On a recent visit, I called ahead, and they did warn me, however, that they were all out of John Adams Dollars, but had each of the other 2007 Presidential Dollars (and LOTS of them).

They also generally have $2 bills (something else I like to tip with). It makes services remember you, if nothing else. I've had some thank me later, one had had a daughter who was just turning TWO, so she got to give her a $2 bill (she had no idea they were still made).

I digress. Many banks will also ORDER these items for you, if you were willing to put in a MINIMUM order, like $100 for rolls of dollars, or something like that, or $200 for a pack of $2 bills. I love doing that to see if I get any STAR (*) notes.

So, if you let them put like a "hold" on $100 in your account until the coinage arrives, then they all you when it's ready, or you call them on the day they tell you they normally expect it, voila! You get your coins!

Just a suggestion!

Also FYI, If you are getting Sacagaweas, if you EVER notice the rolls that appear to be brought in by other bank customers, rather than in original bank rolls? There are OFTEN SBAs mixed in there -- sometimes TOO many (at least for those not fond of the much besmirched SBA).

Yep, large banks have to order them from the armored car service they used to stock coin inventory.

As far as tax returns thats a bummer. I am lucky this year that I will be able to pay for 1/3 of one key date coin in my collection. :)