• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Huge Submission of Toners for me....how will I do?

How many coins will receive a STAR designation?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. How many coins will receive a STAR designation?

32 posts in this topic

I just got my latest submission to NGC all packaged up last night and it was my biggest yet! 33 coins in all....all toners to boot. :cloud9:

So the rough breakdown is as follows:

5 Lincoln Cents...

5 Jefferson Nickels....

4 Roosevelt Dimes....

8 Washington Quarters...

9 Franklin Halves.......

2 Morgan Dollars.......

So in light of this rather large submission from me.....and without the aide of pictures of all the coins here is what I propose......

I am going to put up a poll and let members guess how many of these toners will garner the coveted Star designation from NGC and a second poll to see how many coins folks think will acheive the grade of MS67/PF67. The winner of each of these polls will receive a toned coin of my chosing raw or certified....mailed directly to them. In the event of ties.....the names will be put into a hat and one of the names will be drawn to determine the winner. (thumbs u

So...a bit about the coins......most of these coins have been posted to these forums over the past few months and some are quite spectacular but most are just attractive with some toning that may or may not be worth a premium to toned coin collectors. That is all of the info I will divulge at this time but once the coins are returned to me I will reveal the results live on national TV..... hm Ok maybe not...how about I just post the results here :acclaim:

Have fun everyone and wish me luck :wishluck:

~I am going to put up a poll and let members guess how many of these toners will garner the coveted Star designation from NGC and a second poll to see how many coins folks think will acheive the grade of MS67/PF67. The winner of each of these polls will receive a toned coin of my chosing raw or certified....mailed directly to them. In the event of ties.....the names will be put into a hat and one of the names will be drawn to determine the winner.~

I maybe a bit naive, but how are you going to tell how each individual voted in the poll?

Figured it out after first post....thanks, old and slow ya'know.

BTW....good luck on your submission!

edit: 3 stars, 5-67's in MS/PR

Pictures sure would be helpful.

I hope your submission goes well, Shane.

Yes....in this case that's part of the game....I will tell you that I started a thread not too long ago that has a lot of images from one of the mint sets so that will take care of probabably half of what I submitted :foryou:

Keep the guesses coming....frankly I didn't even sit down to figure out myself how I was going to figure out who guessed what so I am glad folks are posting their guesses as well doh!

lol lol lol

As for my guess......I don't know how many of each for sure (shrug) but I will keep my thoughts to myself so I don't spoil the fun :banana:

Shane, this is like asking me if it will rain next week! I don't have the slightest idea what these coins look like or will grade.

OT, it's very simple. All you have to do is keep in mind that Shane has very bad taste. Just look at his choice of shirts. lol

Chris

Shane, this is like asking me if it will rain next week! I don't have the slightest idea what these coins look like or will grade.

I understand.....keep in mind this isn't a grading game....this is a guessing game. Those that want to participate and post a guess.....great......for those that do not.....no problem at all (thumbs u

i guess ill be the downer guesser then.

what i hope you get = half stars and the rest 66-67

what i think you will get = no stars, more mid ms grades.

but i do have everything crossed for you !

If that 80-S morgan is among them than you've definitely got a star there. Love that coin. :D

It is but I bet they don't give it a star even though it way better then a lot of the star coins I have seen.....I am not worried about it as it's not going anywhere....that one should be in an MS64 holder.

Thanks ant.....don't worry about going low.....I can't remember ever getting a star from NGC and I have sent in a few no brainers like a rainbow toned 1957 lincoln and a mint set toned Washington thast both went 67's and were beautiful.

If I get shut out again then frankly.....I don't know what they would consider eye appealing :pullhair:

I guessed before I looked at your laundry list of modern carp, but I'll post my guess here anyway.

4 stars

3 67s

You probably have more nice fish than that, but I'll stick with my guess. I suppose I was thinking you had submitted a bunch of bust quarters or something. ;)

I like the blind guessing . . . makes it more like the real thing. ;)

based on images I see on Ebay.....this is the only way to grade lol

Yes I guess this would all be considered a lot of modern now that you mention it.....even though most of the coins came out of old double mint sets....they are still 1955- present :frustrated:

(:

Just checked and my submission has been received by NGC.....very exciting as I always worry they will get lost and I never think I insure them for enough doh!

Anyone else want to guess?

Here is a link to some of the coins included for those too lazy to follow the clues... lol

NGC Toned Mint Set thread

Now that I (re)looked at the pics, I want to change my answer! doh!

More stars and less 67s. :grin:

That's my thinking too.....I know it's tough to not micrograde from pictures but I like it as it usually causes positive surprises for me. We shall see in the end and this will be a nice lesson as I usually don't pay to much attention to my grades on toned coin submissions but this time I wrote down what I felt each coin would grade and I'll cross check it when I get them in hand. That will pay dividends down the road as I submit coins that are untoned (thumbs u

Here are the results (I believe):

Final results for two invoices:

(Early Bird Freebies)

LineItem Year Mint Mark Variety/Pedigree Denom. Proof Grade Strike Char Comments

001 1958 D 25C MS 66* ..... My guess MS65*

002 1958 D 25C MS 66* ..... My Guess MS64*

003 1963 50C PF 65 ..... My Guess PF 65

004 1900 S$1 MS 64 ..... My Guess MS64

005 1880 S S$1 MS 65* ..... My Guess MS 64

(Modern Tier)

LineItem Year Mint Mark Variety/Pedigree Denom. Proof Grade Strike Char Comments

001 1962 1C PF 63 RB ..... My Guess PF65 BR (I can't grade proofs this was really a guess )

002 1970 S LARGE DATE 1C PF 64 RB ..... My Guess PF 64RB

003 1958 D 1C MS 64 RB ..... My Guess MS66RB

004 1958 D 1C MS 64 RB ..... My Guess MS67RB

005 1958 1C MS 65 RB ..... My Guess MS66RB

006 1958 D 5C MS 65 5FS ..... My Guess MS66FS

007 1958 D 5C MS 65 5FS ..... My Guess MS66FS

008 1956 D 5C MS 65 ..... My Guess MS66

009 1956 D 5C MS 65 ..... My Guess MS67

010 1956 5C MS 65 ..... My Guess MS66

011 1958 5C MS 64 ..... My Guess MS65

012 1958 D 10C MS 66 FT ..... My Guess MS67

013 1958 D 10C MS 65 ..... My Guess MS65

014 1956 10C MS 66 ..... My Guess MS66

015 1956 10C MS 66 ..... My Guess MS65

016 1963 25C MS 66 ..... My Guess MS65

017 1958 D 25C MS 66 ..... My Guess MS66

018 1956 25C MS 65 ..... My Guess MS65

019 1956 25C MS 65 ..... My Guess MS66

020 1958 25C MS 66 ..... My Guess MS65

021 1959 50C MS 65 ..... My Guess MS64

022 1963 D 50C MS OBVERSE WHEEL MARK ..... My Guess MS64

023 1958 50C MS 66 FBL ..... My Guess MS66

024 1958 50C MS 65 ..... My Guess MS66

025 1956 50C MS 66 ..... My Guess MS66

026 1956 50C MS 65 ..... My Guess MS66

027 1958 D 50C MS 65 ..... My Guess MS65*

028 1958 D 50C MS 65* ..... My Guess MS65*

Source: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2275173&page=1#Post2275173

Final tally: 4 *'s, 0 67's

Thanks Mike.....nobody guessed 0 on the MS67's...or at least I didn't have that as an option lol

As far as 4 Stars....I show 6 folks selected that option but only one person RGT actually listed it in his post to this thread. So on the merit system......if anyone else actually selected 4 stars then please PM me and I will put your name(s) in the drawing with RGT for a toned coin.......

Thanks for playing everyone :applause:

Thanks Mike.....nobody guessed 0 on the MS67's...or at least I didn't have that as an option lol

As far as 4 Stars....I show 6 folks selected that option but only one person RGT actually listed it in his post to this thread. So on the merit system......if anyone else actually selected 4 stars then please PM me and I will put your name(s) in the drawing with RGT for a toned coin.......

Thanks for playing everyone :applause:

I guessed 4 stars and 1 67. You can give the coin to RGT though....