• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

buying old canadian silver.. how to?

5 posts in this topic

i've got a chance to pick up a bunch of old canadian silver coins.. mainly quarters and dimes. George V & older.. 1870-1936. just for my sets, nothing else. the seller (my boss) is leaving it up to me to come up with something fair.

the question is.. should i treat these on a coin by coin basis (look em up in the charlton), or would the common ones fall into the 'silver value' category?

you can look up washington quarters in the redbook and the prices will vary.. but we all know that it doesn't really work like that, for the most part they all fall into the 11x face category or whatever...... would these canadians work the same way?

I would say that it doesn't matter what the series is, there are always those keys that should be individually priced and the rest of the set can be treated pretty much as equals which sell for the same amount. What the level for the commons should be varies. In many cases it is bullion, in some cases on older series it is a noticibly hogher level, and for very early series you may have to break it down to a common coin price for each grade level.

I was recently faced with the same situation..with silver costs so high I thought a bullion offer was fair, although I did find 2-3 key dates like Conder said and paid for those seperately

the question is.. should i treat these on a coin by coin basis (look em up in the charlton), or would the common ones fall into the 'silver value' category?

Charlton is usually very high (over retail), so be careful.