• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

STOLEN CURRENCY........

9 posts in this topic

The following items were stolen from a dealer during the Ames, Iowa Coin Club show yesterday 02/23/08

2 $1,000 bills serial numbers H00046670A and G00042679A

2 $500 bills serial numbers G00362870A and G00193334A

Anyone happening upon these PM me the info and I'll relay it on.

Printed and saved . That is really a low-down and pathetic thing for someone to do...steal . Nothing lower than a thief . If you re-coup any of these , please post back so I don't make any wrong assumptions should I encounter them . I'll have the list in my coin box with me that I take to shows .

I'm assuming that these are uncertified , but could end up in a holder ? Or removed from a holder to be put into another ? Have you sent these numbers on to the note grading companies? ...and made arrangements to let them know if any are recovered along the way?

The following items were stolen from a dealer during the Ames, Iowa Coin Club show yesterday 02/23/08

2 $1,000 bills serial numbers H00046670A and G00042679A

2 $500 bills serial numbers G00362870A and G00193334A

Anyone happening upon these PM me the info and I'll relay it on.

First, I am sorry to hear about your loss.

If the owner was a member of the American Numismatic Association (ANA), the ANA will post a reward, based on the value of the items, up to $5,000 I believe.

General ANA web site: www.money.org

Consumer Protection section:

http://www.money.org/Content/NavigationMenu/Communications/ConsumerProtection2/default.htm

E-mail the ANA at: ana@money.org

General Number for the ANA: 800-367-9723

Consumer Protection Susan McMillan 719-482-9850

Aside from a reward, the owner had insurance for his/her collection though the ANA such as through Hugh Wood Agency (underwritten by AXA), it may not be inappropriate to contact them.

ANA Collection Insurance (unless you bought it elsewhere of course)

Members can insure their entire collection at low group rates. Contact Hugh Wood Inc. for further information at 1-888-277-6494.

http://www.hwint.com/usa/hughwood/ana/

:makepoint:

It may serve as a reminder for those who do NOT have insurance that the time to get it is NOW, before you need it. The group rates arranged by the ANA can be very affordable. Most homeowners plans do NOT cover coin collections (call yours and ask and be surprised). If they DO cover a coin collection, the maximum may be up to a nominal amount such as $500. As we all know, ONE COIN an cost that!

"Scheduling" items on your homeowners (a coin collection) such as you do for jewelry SEEMS to make sense, but when you start to get into it, you learn that your homowners insurer/agent is NOT an expert in coins, and the cost is prohibitive.

The arrangements through the the plan offered through the ANA have a variety of plans, covering coins just stored in Safe Deposit Boxes, Just stored at home, or both! (or even with travel to and from!).

Remember that the contents of Safe Deposit Boxes are NOT insured by the FDIC, nor by most homeowners policies. So these policies can be exceptional in that regard.

If you have to wonder "Why would I need to insure a safe deposit box?" While thefts may be low, they do occur. However, think what happened to the valuables in hundreds, thousands, or TENS OF THOUSANDS of safe deposit boxes in New Orleans, Louisiana, and along the Gulf Coast after Hurricanes Katrina and Rita when the banks were literally UNDER WATER. Think of the wildfires recently in southern California. Any such emergency could damage your belongings, or restrict your access (if you're lucky, that's all it is).

Imagine your treasured collecting in those disasters?